What makes a subwoofer bottom out?

So let me get this straight, you're running double rated power into this woofer and b!tching that you are reaching mechanical limits?

IMO you got hosed if you paid 500$ for that too.

I live in an apartment too just gotta find a good buddy with a garage //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Yeah I don't really know many people outside of work here. I don't do much besides work and relax at home and **** around with my car system :p

So let me get this straight, you're running double rated power into this woofer and b!tching that you are reaching mechanical limits?
IMO you got hosed if you paid 500$ for that too.
You would never see a woofer from another company thats 500 dollars bottom out the way this did.

You would never see a woofer from another company thats 500 dollars bottom out the way this did.
Not much for details on their site about what it is designed to do, so who knows? Most SPL oriented woofers aren't built for huge excursion since if you're burping high 50's to mid 60hz range you have to get into some ungodly power levels to approach x-mech. Just saying, if it works well on rated power you don't have much room to complain.

IMO your best bet would be to have someone recone it with some parts more suited to your goals since it seems like a decent enough motor to build off.

Not much for details on their site about what it is designed to do, so who knows? Most SPL oriented woofers aren't built for huge excursion since if you're burping high 50's to mid 60hz range you have to get into some ungodly power levels to approach x-mech. Just saying, if it works well on rated power you don't have much room to complain.
IMO your best bet would be to have someone recone it with some parts more suited to your goals since it seems like a decent enough motor to build off.
I guess SKAR is just cra* I guess. ALOT of negative comments about their stuff including them selling B-stock (failed QC products) as A-stock

Also this may be a good time for OP to CONTACT Kevin @ SKAR and see if he offers a good solution. IMO there's a dozen people selling pretty much the same Chinese parts, what sets one apart from the next in the long run is going to be customer service.

Kind of late for that one... Check 04 civic build log
throw some empty 2 liter bottles into your box and see how the sub reacts. the bottle will take up displacement and virtually shrink the box. place in 1 2-liter bottle in at a time and see how the sub reacts. keep putting them in to see how much smaller the box needs to be.

this is a funny method, trust me this method works, i did it while using a termlab because i knew for the power i had my box was to big, so i put in 1 bottle and gained score on term lab meter. so i ended up figuring out that 2 2-liter bottles in the box gained me score while 3 mad the box to small and i lost some score on term lab.

throw some empty 2 liter bottles into your box and see how the sub reacts. the bottle will take up displacement and virtually shrink the box. place in 1 2-liter bottle in at a time and see how the sub reacts. keep putting them in to see how much smaller the box needs to be.
this is a funny method, trust me this method works, i did it while using a termlab because i knew for the power i had my box was to big, so i put in 1 bottle and gained score on term lab meter. so i ended up figuring out that 2 2-liter bottles in the box gained me score while 3 mad the box to small and i lost some score on term lab.
Another great idea man Im deff gonna try this one

Another great idea man Im deff gonna try this one
yea it sounds funny but it really works. the guy that showed me this trick knows his stuff to. hes loud as hell, i gave him a dumb founded look when he said we should try this lol.... but i worked

So you are complaining about the design of the sub, but you are putting double rated to it, playing way below tunning, and your enclosure is to big. And you are wondering why your sub is bottoming out. The answer is pretty simple to me.

So you are complaining about the design of the sub, but you are putting double rated to it, playing way below tunning, and your enclosure is to big. And you are wondering why your sub is bottoming out. The answer is pretty simple to me.
You didn't read what I wrote... I'm not explaining it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.