What makes a subwoofer bottom out?

How does that tuning sound anyways? Is it only good for rap/dubstep/bass tests? How would that low of tuning sound with rock/metal?
Well 20s sound great for rap and dubstep some rock with bassjrops. Tuning at 37 gives me a little leeway both ways. At 3.4 rms the sub bottomed out on 37hz which is my tuning.

See I have had coil rub and this is not that. The sub clings sounding like a hammer hitting a metal plate. The sub has so much more potential but is limited by poor engineering which really pisses me off!
Gotcha. That gives you two choices. Provided you have things taken care of with frequencies below tuning (I'm sure you do), excursion will always be greatest just above your tuning, which is what you've described. You will need to control this by lowering enclosure volume, or by applying a mild EQ cut in that area. I would recommend lowering enclosure volume. To test this theory, you can remove the driver and throw some books or whatever inside to take up some volume. Take some time to calculate actual volume, don't be a dummy. (j/k) Throw the driver back in, take a test run, and see if things improve.

Gotcha. That gives you two choices. Provided you have things taken care of with frequencies below tuning (I'm sure you do), excursion will always be greatest just above your tuning, which is what you've described. You will need to control this by lowering enclosure volume, or by applying a mild EQ cut in that area. I would recommend lowering enclosure volume. To test this theory, you can remove the driver and throw some books or whatever inside to take up some volume. Take some time to calculate actual volume, don't be a dummy. (j/k) Throw the driver back in, take a test run, and see if things improve.
Wow very fine idea you got there sir. Im definitely going to try something like this. The box is 3.94 cubes don't know how i got that thing in a civic. lol

Wow very fine idea you got there sir. Im definitely going to try something like this. The box is 3.94 cubes don't know how i got that thing in a civic. lol
Holy balls! :O You got 2 15's in a civic? Wow. That must be a TIGHT fit haha. I don't think I could ever fit 2 15's in my G6 :p I only got like a 16" height to work with lol

EDIT: DOH :facepalm: Just re-read you only have 1 15" :p

It will likely change your tuning a bit for that existing enclosure/vent setup but it will give you your answer so you can rebuild or tweak accordingly. Nearly 4 cubes sounds high for that amount of power but who knows. Good luck with it.

It will likely change your tuning a bit for that existing enclosure/vent setup but it will give you your answer so you can rebuild or tweak accordingly. Nearly 4 cubes sounds high for that amount of power but who knows. Good luck with it.
Thanks buddy! Ill just recalculate again and go from there. And your right 4 cubes is a little large I was trying to optimize everything.

Explain your logic for this assumption please. Both coils read 2.1 ohm and coil is still nice copper color and spider is not torn sooooo.
coils are fine but the cone separates from what is it called the triple joint or from the thing the coil is wound on itself lol

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif:yumyum: in my civic the sunroof and other stuff made clacking sounds with my lanzar 1535d's lol

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif:yumyum: in my civic the sunroof and other stuff made clacking sounds with my lanzar 1535d's lol
This is definitely the sub not my sunroof haha but i get your point my whole car gets eatin by subs.

Nice. I wish I had a place to be able to try and build my own boxes. Would be so much cheaper :p Or at least after the first couple tries it would be anyways haha. But alas I live in an apartment right now so no power tools for me :p
I live in an apartment too just gotta find a good buddy with a garage //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.