What is the best setup that has very good SQ, slightly overdone bass, and good value?

AztecPenguinMex

Hello, before joining this forum, I've always been interested in music in superior quality. For that reason I was always on Head-Fi forums and always been listening and collecting high-end headphones (V-Moda, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Grado, ect...)

However, now that I finally have a vehicle (Honda Passport 2000), I would like to get into car audio (I do have $$$.) The problem is I know absolutely nothing about it. I always try to get the best I can for the money that I invest. For example, ATH M50 headphones ($115.00) are as good as headphones up to $300. That's kind of what I'm trying to do with my setup.

My primary concerns for the overall sound is, very well-balanced sound, with excellent clarity in the high-range, the mid-range not more than slightly recessed, and a slightly over-done bass (or at least be able to control it with some sort of switch.) By slightly over-done bass I means something that has far less bass than what you typically listen to in other hip-hop listeners cars.

Any good newbie info is well appreciated, as well as some good setups at a good price. I have about up to $800.00 to spend if that info is relevant

btw I listen to mainly hip-hop and electronic genres. i also love metal, but from what I understand, in headphones at least, the setup for hip-hop/electronic will be quite different to one for rock.

Well, you sound like a decent open-minded guy with the potential to have a great system; all you need is a little guidance. I guess that's where we come in, right?

So basically, you're looking for more of a SQ setup than SPL, but you still want a bit more bass than your stock system provides. Is that correct? $800 can be a very healthy budget depending on what you want to do, we just need to know what you're aiming for.

actually its more in the lines of rap, bass test songs, bass burp setups vs metal, EDM, country setups. From my experience, a setup thats good with rock is also good with EDM, but mainly if its an SQ setup, it should sound great with any genre.

If your familiar with hi fidelity, then you should know that Music source and adequate clean power supply are very important to the sound, same deal with car audio.

First off you'd want a decent aftermarket headunit that plays up to the audio codec that you want with features that you'd want. Here's a scale of audio signal quality.

Store bought CD> USB/burned cd with Lossless> USB/Burned CD with mp3> Auxillary> bluetooth/pandora>radio stations

If you want to save some money and do the installation yourself here are a list of some basic car audio tools you might need

drillbits/screwdriver/electronic drill(cordless preferably), hammer/lug crimper, socket wrench set, hex/allen key set, Digital Multi-Meter.

Now, down to the equipment, your going to need either a 4 channel amp along with a dedicated subwoofer amp or a 5 channel amp depending on how big you want to go with the system. You'll also need an amp wiring kit thats an appropriate size of wire matching the amp along with RCA cables for the 4 channel amp and subwoofer amp.

As for subwoofers, i'd recommend going with lower powered entry levels subs for now until you can get your vehicles electricals(alternator, big 3 charging and grounding wire, batteries) upgraded.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a pretty good head unit Amazon.com: Pioneer DEH-80PRS Mobile CD Receiver with 3-Way Active Crossover Network, Auto EQ and Auto Time Alignment: Car Electronics 270$ish after tax

For your budget what i would do is to get a 4 channel amp, and a set of front component speakers along with a subwoofer. With two channels powering the components and the other two powering the subwoofer until you can get a dedicated sub amp. You dont have to worry too much about rear speakers, they can just be ran off the head unit and can be upgraded and be powered off the other two channels once you get a dedicated sub amp.

http://www.513electronics.com/store/car-audio/amplifiers/ppiamps/phantom/ppi-phantom-class-d-p900-4-4-channel-145-x-4/ 175$

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/miscellaneous-classifieds/583407-computer-parts-car-subs-other.html This guy has a JL audio W3v1 d2 which is a decent SQ starter sub for you and its 45 shipped, its a steal PM him if your interested.

another sub choice would be this if you want to buy new Amazon.com: E-12D4 - Sundown Audio 12" Dual 4-Ohm E Series Subwoofer: Car Electronics 130 after shiping and tax

Subs need to be in a box so ideally you'd want to have a custom ported enclosure but if you want to save some money and trade off a bit of bass output, then you can buy a sealed box.

an amp kit for the 4 channel Amazon.com: KnuKonceptz KCA Complete 4 Gauge Amp Installation Kit: Electronics 32 after ship and tax

for Component speakers there's a bunch to choose from, It'll be your preference, More midrange, midbass or trebles, it'll vary from each set.

Should be under your budget and have decent Sound Quality. If you want even more bass, it'll stretch out your budget a bit more.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

its a good foundation for future builds and upgrades also.

I'm going to suggest something different. Start with a JBL MS-8 equalizer with built-in amplifier. You can wire it to the factory radio or amplifier and use it to power up to 8 speakers. It's the quickest way to emulating the frequency response you're used to from good headphones. It isn't going to make your speakers do the impossible, but it will do more for you than any other small upgrades on their own.

You can get the Pioneer head unit for less than $270 shipped if you shop around....ebay...if you are open to that route.

I just got done with a basic setup....took me a few months to get everything together. Pretty much it was based on price and the deal at the time.

Headunit:

I'd suggest either a Kenwood x997 or Pioneer 80prs

Subwoofer:

Based on budget and what you are wanting...I'd say you would be fine with a single 10" or 12" sub....seems like you want something with good response...tight bass but perhaps the ability to turn it up from time to time. You wanna pay attention to the subs RMS rating to get the most out of it / based on the amp you get.

Some decent SQ subs

Polk SR104 or 124

Newer JL w6

Alpine Type X

Also look into Dayton and Image Dynamics.

Front stage:

A decent set of components...focal or hertz are good names but you can definitely get good quality for less.

JBL - MS-62 ....can be found for less than $200 if you shop around.

Polk MM-6501 ....very decent set for the money

Boston SR60, CDT...image dynamics makes some decent priced speakers that are pretty nice.

lots of options there.

Rear fill:

I'd stick with factory or get a cheaper set....just think of it as your last priority. Some decent coax speakers would be decent.

Amp (s)

You can either go with a single multi channel amp here or 2 amps...if you would like to run a separate amp to your sub or subs.

Again, based on budget...you may be best off getting a 5 channel amp. But, pay attention the impedence and RMS rates on the sub channel.

I eventually went with a JL HD900/5

BUT...

I literally tested and tried 5 other multi channel amps and the best for around 200 dollars....

JBL GTO-5EZ ...I was very impressed with the SQ...plus if I remember correctly, it sends nearly 500 watts to the sub channel + its AB+D

Others I tried were the NVS ja900.5, JL XD400, massive audio nx5...etc...biggest problem with most of these is that you are only getting around 200 rms for your sub.

I honestly regret selling my JBL amp...and many who have "actual experience" with the JBL GTO-5EZ will tell you it has great SQ....and is very underrated.

Or you can go with a 4 channel and just amp your front stage and sub....then later you can get a mono sub when you have more money.

What I have expressed is just a few options....possibilities are endless. I am no "guru" but most of my suggestions are based on actual experience with the equipment... Good Luck though.....

And definitely use dynamat or some form of insulation....we are working in "cars"...the least we can do is use a little insulation.

Also ....keep in mind you will spend atleast 50 - 100 on decent RCA cables and Wiring for your speakers and amp.

I would say get a W7 or something similar...

not to be a nut hugger if you get something like a W7 find a good price on a used one...just saying when i had my dub 7s they were amazing with every type of music and were punchy and loud

there are other choices at cheaper prices as well. someone on here im sure can recamend it

I would say get a W7 or something similar...

not to be a nut hugger if you get something like a W7 find a good price on a used one...just saying when i had my dub 7s they were amazing with every type of music and were punchy and loud

there are other choices at cheaper prices as well. someone on here im sure can recamend it

Hey all, I am looking for the same setup, just with a bigger budget. I first looked into double din units but after some research, none really do what I need with great SQ. I am looking for SQ over SPL. So I scratched all the double din units in favor of the (at least by specs) single din units. My choices are these:

Kenwood KDC X997

Kenwood KDC BT955HD

Alpine CDE-HD148BT

Pioneer DEH 80PRS (heavily leaning towards this one)

My quest is sound quality, sound quality, and sound quality. Oh yeah, did I mention I am looking for the excellent sound quality? LOL

In your own experience, which of these decks has the best sound quality?

Did I mention that I have a POLK SR124 DVC sub for sale?....$185 shipped...like new condition! I'd say that's your best bang for buck //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm going to suggest something different. Start with a JBL MS-8 equalizer with built-in amplifier. You can wire it to the factory radio or amplifier and use it to power up to 8 speakers. It's the quickest way to emulating the frequency response you're used to from good headphones. It isn't going to make your speakers do the impossible, but it will do more for you than any other small upgrades on their own.
Good advice, I strongly second and hope the OP strongly considers this. I just added an MS-8 to my stock bose setup and it made a HUGE difference. Midrange quality improved a bunch. It does sound ALOT closer to a set of headphones, even closer than my last car, which wasn't using stock speakers by any means. The MS-8 does a great job with frequency response and can really make a subwoofer blend if needed. It'll also give him 32 EQ bands to tweak the sound some and plenty of RCA preouts for whatever else he wants to do.

Hey all, I am looking for the same setup, just with a bigger budget. I first looked into double din units but after some research, none really do what I need with great SQ. I am looking for SQ over SPL. So I scratched all the double din units in favor of the (at least by specs) single din units. My choices are these:
Kenwood KDC X997

Kenwood KDC BT955HD

Alpine CDE-HD148BT

Pioneer DEH 80PRS (heavily leaning towards this one)

My quest is sound quality, sound quality, and sound quality. Oh yeah, did I mention I am looking for the excellent sound quality? LOL

In your own experience, which of these decks has the best sound quality?
The 80 is the better deck out if your choices here Might wanna consider a processor as well. Do a 3 way active front stage once that's set up right then work on the sub stage. Take a look at the Dayton subs. Very nice for the money. Also if you can find a good price on a Tc based sub that's another great option. Also don't skimp on the wires. Go ofc all around and a nice set of rcas as well also 100 mil deadener on the front doors for the front stage. There are some good brands out there. Best bang for the buck doesn't always apply especially in a sq system

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.