Best amp for this setup

Participant count
  • Participant list

Slayer16102

CarAudio.com Recruit
Looking for a decent 5 channel amps to go with these subs and my current setup.

My setup: Speakers have been recently upgraded
(1) Pioneer 6800 BS head unit - should I keep it or upgrade it? Seems to do vol 59 of 62 with no distortion.

(2) Alpine SPS-65C component speakers in front doors 80w RMS
(2) Alpine S65 coaxial in rear deck 80w RMS
(2) Audio legion s20 10 inch sub's ported with center vent 300-400w RMS

Someone has suggested a Kenwood 8005M, but it seems like the sub channel is only 300 watts on this amp. Can't this setup handle 600w, since it's actually 2 10s rated at 300w each?

Additional notes:
The head unit in this setup seems to have some issues, could this cause a current draw if it's malfunctioning?
1). Sometimes there is a delay in the head unit starting up or turning on by at least 10-30 seconds after the car has been started and is idling, other times there is no delay and the radio turns on fine.
2). Sometimes when I plug in a USB cable to the port, there will be no audio able to play from my iPhone through the stereo. Failing to work or just it's cutting out is also completely random. Bluetooth always works fine.

Last edited:
Looking for a decent 5 channel amps to go with these subs and my current setup.

My setup: Speakers have been recently upgraded
(1) Pioneer 6800 BS head unit - should I keep it or upgrade it? Seems to do vol 59 of 62 with no distortion.

(2) Alpine SPS-65C component speakers in front doors 80w RMS
(2) Alpine S65 coaxial in rear deck 80w RMS
(2) Audio legion s20 10 inch sub's ported with center vent 300-400w RMS

Someone has suggested a Kenwood 8005M, but it seems like the sub channel is only 300 watts on this amp. Can't this setup handle 600w, since it's actually 2 10s rated at 300w each?

Additional notes:
The head unit in this setup seems to have some issues, could this cause a current draw if it's malfunctioning?
1). Sometimes there is a delay in the head unit starting up or turning on by at least 10-30 seconds after the car has been started and is idling, other times there is no delay and the radio turns on fine.
2). Sometimes when I plug in a USB cable to the port, there will be no audio able to play from my iPhone through the stereo. Failing to work or just it's cutting out is also completely random. Bluetooth always works fine.

SFB1800.5. Just make sure that you have decent electrical.

Yeah, that's where my issue comes in, man I only have a 110 amp alternator to power the entire car.
Due to the valeo voltage regulator on my car, there really is no alternator upgrades possible without the car throwing up a charging fault with a custom alternator installed. I have tried to upgrade it before with a mechman alternator and it threw up all kinds of codes so I went back to OEM. My 5 channel must stay within the 110 amp voltage constraints when considering overall power consumption.

Someone suggested a Kenwood 8005M 5 channel for $400.
The car is going to the shop tomorrow to have this amp installed unless someone can suggest something better while being close to the price listed above. That amp should give each sub 250 watts at 2 ohms.

I am mainly making sure the amp 8005M they suggested is what I should be using or if I should wait and get something better. I don't want to drop $400 on the amp, $125 on a new 8 gauge wiring kit, and $350 on a 5 channel amp install if this isn't the right amp for my setup. Tax and all this new install puts me out the door at $1,150.00 tomorrow so I need to make absolutely sure this is the best setup for my car given all of my components listed above.

Is $350 typically the going rate for a 5 channel amp install or is that way too much to connect all of the the subs and speakers to a single amp? That seems pretty high to me, but I don't have time to do the install myself as I work 6 days a week.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's where my issue comes in, man I only have a 110 amp alternator to power the entire car.
Due to the valeo voltage regulator on my car, there really is no alternator upgrades possible without the car throwing up a charging fault with a custom alternator installed. I have tried to upgrade it before with a mechman alternator and it threw up all kinds of codes so I went back to OEM. My 5 channel must stay within the 110 amp voltage constraints when considering overall power consumption.

Someone suggested a Kenwood 8005M 5 channel for $400.
The car is going to the shop tomorrow to have this amp installed unless someone can suggest something better while being close to the price listed above.

You will be fine with the SFB1800.5. Just make sure that the clipping light on the bass knob isn't solid yellow. An occasional yellow flicker is fine.

I would run that over the JP and Sundown SFB any day. Even with paying for a warranty. Plus those can be had outside of there for 30-40 bucks if need be or if you are like my cards they all add a 2 year warranty for free on anything I buy.

But I will say those Kenwoods are decent amplifiers and have done well for some people. Pioneer has a 5 channel as well that people like for the money.

Last edited:
I let them install the Kenwood 8005M and tune it all up for me with my alpine speakers. They did an amazing job. At $1,120.00 the install cost was pretty high ($679 in wiring, amps, and other components +345 in labor + tax), but man does it bang who knew $52.99 audio legion S20's could bang so good. Even the installers were impressed with how loud they banged. So much better than my old single rockford p3sd-12 setup. I can't even use the rear view mirror or put a drink on the center console without it vibrating off. The rearview mirror is basically unusable now. With my rockford P3SD2-12 the rear view mirror vibrated very little.

Thank you guys for all of your help and suggestions this forum has always been great with helping me figure out any issues I may be having. They gave me a one year local warranty with replacement should anything from the install fail. The install included all new wiring and connection for both the positive and negative to the battery, so no more of that power coming off of the fuse box issue I spoke of in previous posts.

I noticed that my voltage stays constant with it on the battery. When they had it wired to the fuse box the voltage jumped all around and seemed to cause drain to other components.

Last edited:
I let them install the Kenwood 8005M and tune it all up for me with my alpine speakers. They did an amazing job. At $1,120.00 the install cost was pretty high ($679 in wiring, amps, and other components +345 in labor + tax), but man does it bang who knew $52.99 audio legion S20's could bang so good. Even the installers were impressed with how loud they banged. So much better than my old single rockford p3sd-12 setup. I can't even use the rear view mirror or put a drink on the center console without it vibrating off. The rearview mirror is basically unusable now. With my rockford P3SD2-12 the rear view mirror vibrated very little.

Thank you guys for all of your help and suggestions this forum has always been great with helping me figure out any issues I may be having. They gave me a one year local warranty with replacement should anything from the install fail. The install included all new wiring and connection for both the positive and negative to the battery, so no more of that power coming off of the fuse box issue I spoke of in previous posts.

I noticed that my voltage stays constant with it on the battery. When they had it wired to the fuse box the voltage jumped all around and seemed to cause drain to other components.
Very Nice man.Good to hear you were given a warranty for the install. I havent tried that series of A.Legion subs yet. I may pick me up a pair and try them out. Those Javelins I picked up and tried out did pretty decent.Money well spent. Sounds like you are happy with your system. Good to hear for sure.

Wouldnt hurt to look into doing the Big3 when you get some funds in. Deff helps on the Electrical system and you can do that yourself with a little time

I would run that over the JP and Sundown SFB any day. Even with paying for a warranty. Plus those can be had outside of there for 30-40 bucks if need be or if you are like my cards they all add a 2 year warranty for free on anything I buy.

But I will say those Kenwoods are decent amplifiers and have done well for some people. Pioneer has a 5 channel as well that people like for the money.
Anthony has mentioned that amp. It looks like a little powerhouse for sure, and price deff looks good on it,and specs. I havent heard anything bad about this brand yet either. I myslef havent tried them out, just looked and demos at some shows on the large mono blocks that get down

I will look into the big 3 being done here pretty soon. As I said previously you guys are awsome, so thank you for everything. My alpine's came alive when they were given 75 watts each. What a difference an amp truly makes for the speakers. People have no idea just how much it matters to the speakers themselves. I have crystal clear mids and highs now by swapping to a 5 channel amp and giving those alpine's 75 watts each, before they were decent.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...