What in the WORLD is wrong with my AMP!!!!!!!!!!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

okcthunder2010
10+ year member

I'm going to try and provide as much information as possible...so HERE GOES!!!...I'm trying to narrow down what is wrong with my amp. My brother and I hooked it up. It's a powerbass 1280 watt amp only powering two 350 watt max pioneer 4 way speakers up front (doing one thing at a time) and the amp isn't bridged. The two speakers are hooked up 4 way style with only 2 speakers (I did this to make sure the speakers weren't being overpowered...hopefully I'm right). The amp is being powered from the battery with a 4 guage wire. The ground isn't in the best spot, it's under the seat on a bolt, I scraped the paint with a razor, and put a metal washer between it (the amp has worked with this same ground). The ground wire is also 4 guage. The head unit is a Pioneer Avic-X940BT, everything works just fine on it...the blue/white remote wire is coming straight form the head unit spliced into a 18 guage wire to the amp. We had alot of trouble getting the amp to work (about 8 hours) When the amp finally started working it was the result of my brother taking off these rubber washer things from the inline fuse on the amp power wire to the battery, I drove it home and it worked perfect! the sound was great and I had turned my truck off and on to see that the amp would still come back on and it did just that! The next day I disconnected a relay that my brother installed to it, because I wanted it connected to the parking brake. I was unsuccesful connecting the light green wire to the parking brake, but the relay is still disconnected. I connected the remote wire from the head unit straight to the amps remote. After this I tried to get the amp and wires under the passenger seat...and this is when the nightmare CAME BACK!!! I turned the key on...and NO AMP!!! I looked back and seen that the power cable was disconnected..."SIGH" but to no avail...the amp still wouldn't power on...if i take a small wire and connect it to the power and remote on the back of the amp, the amp will power on and the speakers come on and everything is fine...but WILL NOT power on remotely...I just tried today to run a brand new 14 guage wire to the back of the head unit and into the amp...still nothing...i've tested the wires with a DMM and i'm getting 12v from the remote, 12v from the power, HAVENT TESTED GROUND...someone PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE!!! oh and also...when i test the power wire disconnected from the amp I get 12v...but when I connect it to the amp and test it i'm only getting around 5v...is this simply because the power wire is in the amp or...?

Take it a professional. Fuse is probably blown though. Skimmed through that mess of a post.

Read it a little bit more.. might of blown the remote lead from 140. Wouldn't surprise with how this install sounds though and I have seen it happen before when people try to by-pass the parking brake with a relay and the remote lead. (Assuming that's what you did)

lol sorry about that "Where's Waldo Post" lol but yeah my brother insisted that I bypassed the parking brake restriction...but found out that it's illegal, and wanted to connect it to the parking brake, but didn't quite figure it out, and yes the remote wire was spliced into the parking brake wire or something similar

Take it a professional. Fuse is probably blown though. Skimmed through that mess of a post.
Read it a little bit more.. might of blown the remote lead from 140. QUOTE]

I'm still getting 12 volts of power from the remote wire...so don't think this is the problem

Do you have 12v right after the fuse with wires connected to amp? Does your amp have a fuse? Do you get 12v on both sides of that?

Your DMM is your best friend right now.

Do you have 12v right after the fuse with wires connected to amp? Does your amp have a fuse? Do you get 12v on both sides of that?
Im getting 12v from the remote itself and 12v when its connected to the amp...im getting 12v from power by itself and only around 5v when its connected to the amp...

yeah the amp has 2, 25 amp fuses and theyre both good just checked them, and the inline fuse is good too

Does it come on with the tuner on? If so then you are using the power antenna turn on and not the remote turn on
don't know much about a tuner, but the blue/white wire coming from the head unit is the remote wire according to the owners manual, it specifically says to wire the blue/white wire to an external power amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.