with this setup should i upgrade power wire?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ccapital83
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NY
ok so i am running q4.150 @2 ohmsx4 and hifonics glx1400.1 @1ohms both amps have 2 70a fuses so a total of 280a combined.

before i had these i only had one small 4 channel amp so i only ran stinger hpm 4 guage power wire. now before i say yes obviousley i need way bigger wire with that much rms and amperage let me just say this before i go spend money on new wire and fuses,

I have a 5 farad cap with works great i know alot of people hate them but thats what my stinger 4 guage runs to. I currently have a 250a fuse in my power wire, and neither amp ever gets warm ever also ive never blown a fuse in either amp or in the power line, i have 0 guage from battery to alternator and 0 guage ground on battery. the power line is never hot or warm the grounds also never hot or warm and strangely i never get a voltage drop and absolutely no diming lights so im like ok before i switch all this wiring and spend money should i waste my time. i know on paper yes bigtime but this setup has worked perfect so what is the benefit for changing? im not against it if theres a big reason to change it out. is it audibly to change it? because as of now everything runs and sounds great. input and opionions welcome and appretiated.

ok so i am running q4.150 @2 ohmsx4 and hifonics glx1400.1 @1ohms both amps have 2 70a fuses so a total of 280a combined.
before i had these i only had one small 4 channel amp so i only ran stinger hpm 4 guage power wire. now before i say yes obviousley i need way bigger wire with that much rms and amperage let me just say this before i go spend money on new wire and fuses,

I have a 5 farad cap with works great i know alot of people hate them but thats what my stinger 4 guage runs to. I currently have a 250a fuse in my power wire, and neither amp ever gets warm ever also ive never blown a fuse in either amp or in the power line, i have 0 guage from battery to alternator and 0 guage ground on battery. the power line is never hot or warm the grounds also never hot or warm and strangely i never get a voltage drop and absolutely no diming lights so im like ok before i switch all this wiring and spend money should i waste my time. i know on paper yes bigtime but this setup has worked perfect so what is the benefit for changing? im not against it if theres a big reason to change it out. is it audibly to change it? because as of now everything runs and sounds great. input and opionions welcome and appretiated.
Only thing that matters here.. What is the lowest voltage at you amplifier while playing?

when im driving the lowest ive ever seen it drop fully cranked was 14.2 and it was for a split second if im on the highway it never drops. sitting in park with volume all the way up to maximum is the only way to get it to drop below 14v and i have to be sitting for a few mins in park for that to even occur thats why im afraid to mess with anything and change it. but im open to opinions for sure.

when im driving the lowest ive ever seen it drop fully cranked was 14.2 and it was for a split second if im on the highway it never drops
That's not what I asked but put this into perspective.. If your seeing like 12.5 to 13.5 volts (at amp) at full tilt forget about upgrading anything because your already supplying sufficient voltage.

Hell just run another 4 guage when u get a lil extra doe and be done with it. As stated above if you are getting 13ish volts at the amp (not at the alt) than you are prolly ok. I personally go over the top on wiring cause I have almost unlimited access to 1/0 and 00/0 cable cause I work int the oil field and we throw 20-30 feet a day in the scrap bin..

If I were buying it I would buy welding cable it's not pretty and almost always come plain black, but it's very flexible it has much better/tougher fire resistant shielding and is usually a .50 to 1.00$ cheaper per foot than name brand cable.

Another thing to check is when you run the hell out of your amp touch you power/ground leads and see if they are warm this is a crude way of determining if you need more conductor.

Also I found several places that sale 4 guage super flexable welding lead for .94$ a foot. Plus most offer it in both red and black shielding. Even found 00/0 cable for 2$ a foot.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.