What head unit to get? Under $100.

Neusch22

Hello, I recently purchased four 6x8 infinity 6832cf door speakers for my 2004 ford escape. I'm also looking to purchase a new head unit to go along with the speakers. I'm currently looking to keep the price under $100 as I'm on a low budget. A few brands that have caught my eye so far are jvc, Sony and kenwood. Could I get a few suggestions and/or info to help me with my decision. Thanks.

I would disagree with steering clear. It's pretty well known that for the money, the cz702 is one of the best performing HUs on the market, but I will agree it can be confusing to operate. I'm barely adequate at car audio, but I still need a lot of info to try and work with the band eq that's offered with the HU. Also, it's much more geared for running active as well, I've found it very restrictive with HPF and LPF when running passive. If anyone has tips on setting the eq, please pm me!!
Someone on DIYMA is selling a barely used CZ702 for $100 shipped, btw.
crutchfield has them for $119.......new ....with warranty! D@mn, too bad its just an ugly @ss h/u

what is the amp guard feature?
You play a little bit too loud, it shuts off the mids and highs. Subs still play... You have to turn off the head unit and turn back on to get mids and highs again. At first I thought it was a speaker impedance issue with the internal amp but nope even with a separate amp, mids+highs shuts off too and displays amp guard on the screen. By far the dumbest feature with the head unit. I know its meant to protect noobs from fking up their sh*t but its preventing my buddy from getting any decently loud output at all and we are no where near clipping yet.

you play a little bit too loud, it shuts off the mids and highs. Subs still play... You have to turn off the head unit and turn back on. Thought it was a speaker impedance issue with the internal amp but nope even with a seperate amp, it shuts off too and displays amg guard on the screen.
When the internal amp starts to clip it shuts its self off to protect from amp damage.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

You play a little bit too loud, it shuts off the mids and highs. Subs still play... You have to turn off the head unit and turn back on to get mids and highs again. At first I thought it was a speaker impedance issue with the internal amp but nope even with a separate amp, it shuts off too and displays amp guard on the screen.
yep,that *****.

As long as you are not expecting it to sound better or have more output you will be good. Also avoid AUX. Usb is ok
Aux is actually quite good with the right phones/software and USB is the most practical.

Also, why won't it sound much better? Going from my stock HU to my ****** JVC caused a huge difference for the better.

Pioneer 80prs is pretty great from what I hear. I don't mind Pioneer, but they've gone very flashy to try and get market share, and I don't like company's that do that. Quality I'd say is pretty solid. Clarion might have a few good head units, but i've seen several come through my bay, that i've installed that feel cheap, look cheap. I'm not saying they're all bad, I won't just feed ya bs b/c I dislike a brand, I'll always go off of what I've seen first hand. Now that saying, Dual/VR3/Jensen ect are absolutely crap.

-Nick

Hello, I recently purchased four 6x8 infinity 6832cf door speakers for my 2004 ford escape. I'm also looking to purchase a new head unit to go along with the speakers. I'm currently looking to keep the price under $100 as I'm on a low budget. A few brands that have caught my eye so far are jvc, Sony and kenwood. Could I get a few suggestions and/or info to help me with my decision. Thanks.
Brand new with warranty. $50

Pioneer CD Car Stereo Receiver Multi DEH-X3600UI - Best Buy

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.