What generates the most heat on amps?

BassAddictJ
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
FL
I'm thinking about running my kx 2500.1 at a .35ohm dcr load hoping for imp rise to bring me around 1ohm or 2ohms or so for daily bumping. I will have a solid electrical (250amp alty and a d3100 next to the amp). I've taken off the cover and will be replacing the top with clear plastic. I plan on mounting a large fan blowing onto the board and leaving a gap(s) at the other end(s) of the clear plastic to where the hot air will push out. I'm wondering if i should place the fan closer to the power input side, middle, or signal input side, or if itll make any differance at all, or will i just blow my amp?

im hoping with a steady 14.4v and a **** load of air to keep it cool maybe i can pull this .35ohm dcr off daily. i've run kx 2500.1's at .7ohm dcr at 12v really hard for up to 40min with no additional cooling modifications...got hot but never blew.

thoughts?

I ran a 1000.1 @ 1 ohm daily for 4 months till I sold it

It got really hot at time

Voltage stayd around 14.1

No clue on .35

seems too low

I wouldn't even go down to 1ohm with that amp. myself
ive done it (.7ohm dcr) of a 90 amp stock alty, red top up front, red top in the back. 12v all day with no problems. got hot after long periods of abuse. these amps are solid

so could i run a zx1500.1 at .5ohm since i have dual 2ohm l7's if so wat kind of imp rise would i see, and wat kind of power would it put out

but wat kind of electrical will i need mine at 2ohms now gets hot now

have you guys ever considered using a water cooling setup like they use on PCs?
always been curious if it would work, but i dont know enough about electronics to even know if it is an option otherwise a off load temp of -50 or even say -100 could be fun //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

always been curious if it would work, but i dont know enough about electronics to even know if it is an option otherwise a off load temp of -50 or even say -100 could be fun //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
I dunno enough about amps to figure out how to get a liquid cooling setup.

Wish I did. Is there anything like a CPU in a amp, something you could make up a waterblock for?

on the other hand....i know someone locally selling a kx 2500.1 for 375....could i run this at 1 ohm just for tl runs with a stock 90 amp alt and a yellow top...sorry for the thread jack...reason for the question is my 1508s are d4

i'd take apart a freezer and rig up a mini freezer around it. But doesn't lower temperatures cause a decrease in resistance? not sure what that would mean for an amp im too tired to figure if 70 degrees F would even slightly change things.

i'd take apart a freezer and rig up a mini freezer around it. But doesn't lower temperatures cause a decrease in resistance? not sure what that would mean for an amp im too tired to figure if 70 degrees F would even slightly change things.
This has been discussed before on computer forums. I guess if you ran some copper pipe through the amp case or through the fins, and ran the refridgerant through the tubing and stuff it miiiight work, but you have to deal with condensation.. and the duty cycle of the freezer units... it'll burn up if you use it alot.

I'd say your best bet would be to do some kinda setup like a car air conditioning system.

What I'd do is have the cooling setup cool incoming air, have it blown through the amp, and drawn out again.

Not sure if it'd work, but thats probably how I do it.

This has been discussed before on computer forums. I guess if you ran some copper pipe through the amp case or through the fins, and ran the refridgerant through the tubing and stuff it miiiight work, but you have to deal with condensation.. and the duty cycle of the freezer units... it'll burn up if you use it alot.
ah i see, maybe if you double layered the material so the condensation formed inside the unit, but then im not sure how much cool air would get through to the amp.

ah i see, maybe if you double layered the material so the condensation formed inside the unit, but then im not sure how much cool air would get through to the amp.
yeah it'd be alot of work, I would only use it for comps, if possible.

I'd do some sort of forced air cooling like what I posted after the post you quoted.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.