What do you think of this budget setup? Alpine/Hertz/Hifonics/JL

climber

I'm planning to have a whole new audio setup installed in my '08 Subaru Outback wagon on monday. They're going to build a custom fiberglass box so that the sub takes up very little room (I'm a rock climber and I use all that space in the back every weekend). Basically recreating the JL Stealthbox except with a cheaper sub. The shop is going to install all the parts below for $1,100 which I think is a good deal. I've done audio installs before but don't want to mess with it this time, especially since I can't build the box.

Here's the specs:

Alpine ida-X305 - $300 including dash kit and wiring - Chose this because it's supposed to be the easiest to use with an ipod and it's had good reviews from what I've read

Hertz ESK165 components for the front $179 - These were recommended by the shop and seem to be great for the price; they come with a 3 year warranty.

Hifonics TXI6408 4 channel amp $159 plus $45 amp wiring - 85W X 4 at 4 Ohm. This will run the front components and the sub. cheap but good amp?

JL W1 10" sub in custom box $340 ($100 for sub and $240 for custom box) - I don't need or want super loud bass, just decent output that will balance out the system.

$75 labor

I'm going to keep the stock rear speakers since they sound good enough for rear fill and power them by the HU.

What do you guys think of this setup? Is it going to be well balanced? Any one part you would change without spending much more?

Also, how much should it cost to have the front doors dynamated and is it worth it?

Thanks!

Alex

don't like it.

The HU is decent

don't know anything about the hertz components

the hifonics is ok

the sub *****.

a breakdown of each part individual would be good so we can know if you got a deal or not. the internet should be your friend when purchasing, and then take the equipment to the shop and have them install if you want. you can prolly get this stuff for half what the shop is chargin

I added prices to first post. Buying everything from the shop. I think they are pretty reasonable. I've already put down a deposit for the Alpine HU since they didn't carry it. Especially since the JL stealthbox is $775! The stealthbox is the only prefab box that would work for me, as stated above I need to maintain the space in the back.

the only thing that i would recommend is to go ahead and replace the rear speakers as well.it doesnt require anything else but the speakers. that way you have the rear fill. other than that it sounds to be a good clean setup

thats actually a great deal considering internet prices

$100 sub (Clean sound)

$300 hu (Nice HU)

$200 Speakers ( never heard personally but ppl often praise Hertz sound)

$200 amp (budget but still solid amp)

this leaves for a fiberglass box, wires, and install costing only $300 i think u made out pretty well...also the op pointed out he didnt want overwhelming bass...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500IDAX305/Alpine-iDA-X305.html?tp=5684trusted site for your HU

the sub price is about right, but you can get 2 phoenix gold RSD 12s for 100 on amazon, which is a trusted site.

you can have someone that lives near you build a box for you for bout half of that

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T9N4QS

trusted site for the amp. 3.99 for shipping.
its as if you just ignored his requirements. 2 12s is not going to save the space he will with the single ten. I doubt there are too many members on this forum with the skill and knowledge to properly do the install he is requiring. Amazon can be trusted but it is not an authorized dealer for either of those products which is what he wants and i applaud him for that.

OP you are getting a kick ass deal go for it.

the only thing that i would recommend is to go ahead and replace the rear speakers as well.it doesnt require anything else but the speakers. that way you have the rear fill. other than that it sounds to be a good clean setup
I disagree on the rear fill. Unless you are trying to please passengers in the rear seats, rear fill is unnecessary!

Thanks for the input guys!

How much should it cost to dynamat the front doors and is that worth it or is it only worth it if you are an audiophile and want the best possible sound??

Alex

replace all ur speakers and get a better amp. hifonics is okay but they do get hott sometimes. but for the price its deff not bad.

don't like it.The HU is decent

don't know anything about the hertz components

the hifonics is ok

the sub *****.

a breakdown of each part individual would be good so we can know if you got a deal or not. the internet should be your friend when purchasing, and then take the equipment to the shop and have them install if you want. you can prolly get this stuff for half what the shop is chargin
[b]true but when you dont buy the equipment from them they'l jack the cost of install through the roof so high you'll shiiit yourself until your pants fill up and you slip and drown in your own poo[/b]

very much true, the w1 will suk...... alot:fyi:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.