What do you guys think of this sub combo?

Participant count
  • Participant list

PolishDude
10+ year member

Tampa, Fl
I was thinking of the boston acoustics sub below (obviously not at that price)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SO8wmsp...ston+Acoustics

G510-44

and using the Boston Acoustics Passive Radiator which is designed for the sub

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SO8wmsp...ston+Acoustics

GTR10

A .5 sealed box is recommended per the manual, but from the few things i have heard about this sub, they say it works nicely in a 1.0. I was planning on putting it in a .8

What do you guys think? Should this sound good? Also the radiator can be tuned to the following frequencies 49, 35, and 30. Which would you guys recommend? From what I gather a sub with a passive radiator is like a sub in a ported box correct? If I change the sub box from the recommended .5 to .8 is it going to mess up the frequencies of the passive radiator?

or should I stick with a 10w6v2?

Sorry for all the questions recently...

A passive radiator is a tuning device for an enclosure that is little more than a woofer without a motor. The compliance of the assembly combined with its moving mass tune the enclosure in the same way that a port does, but without the port. It also shouldn't unload the sub below tuning and generally presents a smoother response than a ported setup does. Much more common in home systems than car.

I have another question for anyone that is experienced with passive radiators. If my sub box seperates the cabin of the car from the trunk and I could only put the sub on one side and the radiator on the other, what should I do? Should I have the sub in the cabin side of the box and the radiator on the trunk side of the box or vice versa?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.