• Participant list

PV Audio
5,000+ posts

The Vision of Sound
Indy
Fb

Bl

Z

Like, I know what they MEAN (aka Fb is tuning freq, bl is motor strength and z is nominal ohmage (impedance)), but what do the terms stand for and where do they come from? Thanks

-Dave

Physics and circuits. F is for the frequency of the box based on the resonant frequency of the air in the port. I'm pretty sure that one is close.

B in BL is for the flux density in the gap. The L is for the length of the coil. When you multiply them, you get BL.

Z is just a variable in physics that's used in circuits to show the average impedance since impedance will vary with frequency.

Sweet, the only one of them that was actually confusing the **** outta me was Bl. I figured Fb was Frequency of Box, or something, and that Z is just a term. But Bl didn't make any sense. Grazie!

We type a lot of them as Fb and Qms and so forth, but the proper annotation for them is everthing after the first letter should be a subscript. F is frequency. The subscript just specifies which frequency is being discussed (i.e. S is speaker resonance, b is enclosure resonance, 3 is 3dB down freq, etc.). They are all pretty much derived from plain English except Z which is the symbol used for impedance, as mentioned above.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.