What do I use to seal off my trunk?

PrinceCharming
10+ year member

PrinceCharming
I want to seal off my trunk because it leaks on occasion, which i think I have fixed, and because I hear it will improve my bass response as well as reduce road noise. I'm not looking for sound deadening advice because I'm going to do that this summer and I know what to do about that.

My question is, what can I use to seal off my trunk (no air in or out unless I open it up)? I realize I won't be able to seal it completely unless I weld the trunk shut but I want to get it as well sealed as possible while still being able to open it. I've heard of using Great Stuff but I was thinking of using a rubber sealant spray like Flex Seal instead but I'm thinking thats gonna be pretty expensive so whichever you guys think is better.

I do not want to seal my car off from the rest of the cabin, just the outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to seal off my trunk because it leaks on occasion, which i think I have fixed, and because I hear it will improve my bass response as well as reduce road noise. I'm not looking for sound deadening advice because I'm going to do that this summer and I know what to do about that. My question is, what can I use to seal off my trunk (no air in or out unless I open it up)? I realize I won't be able to seal it completely unless I weld the trunk shut but I want to get it as well sealed as possible while still being able to open it. I've heard of using Great Stuff but I was thinking of using a rubber sealant spray like Flex Seal instead but I'm thinking thats gonna be pretty expensive so whichever you guys think is better.
Id try some Silicone/caulking

But yeah if your trunk leaks silicone the crap out of it. It worked for me. I used to open my trunk and have 3 or 4 inches of water sitting in the spare tire well. 2 tubes of silicone later it's completely dry no matter what.

What I mean is that I want to seal my trunk off from the outside, not from the cabin. I dont want any air coming into it from the outside of the car.

Like if I was going to use my trunk as an IB

Is there like a spray silicone I can get? I want to make sure I cover completely where I need to. What kind of caulking holds up to Mississippi summer heat?
No one can be specific on that answer really..That would be up to you to research for yourself/read the Labels for Applications, to determine which best suites you.

He just wanna seal up the trunk opening so that when the trunk is closed no air escapes. That's what I read from that
Correct. I'm trying to seal every boot and anywhere else air can escape/get in my trunk. All I'm asking is what to use. I do not want to seal my trunk off from the rest of the cabin, just the outside.

I still want to be able to open my trunk tho.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.