What component 3 ways will compare to old ads 641IS?

Participant count
  • Participant list

JKDriver

Yeah, I'm old! I'm getting started on my install in my '07 Jeep Wrangler. I have a crap load of "old School" stuff from 15 years ago, most BNIB. What I want to do is go with a 3 speaker component set that will allow me to install the 6.5 to 6.75 speaker in the stock location, and build a pod where the current "tombstone" tweeter sits at the corners on the dash for the other two speakers.

But having been out of car audio for a good 15 years, I need advice on the speaker models/ brands. As far as SQ, I loved my old ads, also MB Quart, and Boston. Its also got to be able to handle pretty good volume, as my Jeep is heavily modified and at speed with the top off, doors off and the TrailGrapplers humming....

For power I'll be using 2 old Soundstream Reference 405s. My budget..well, I'd like to stay below $800, but If a few $100 more gets me a lot better I can swing it.

My closest competitor seems to be much like you, and we've talked about the old MB Quart, Boston Acoustics, and so on. He's got a Boston 3-way set in a convertible Camaro and he's been looking at my CDT speakers to replace them. You could spend a lot less than $800 on speakers if you went with CDT, but they do have sets in the ~$1,000 range. The 3-way sets will handle 150W+ per side depending on which drivers are used, and they will get plenty loud.

My closest competitor seems to be much like you, and we've talked about the old MB Quart, Boston Acoustics, and so on. He's got a Boston 3-way set in a convertible Camaro and he's been looking at my CDT speakers to replace them. You could spend a lot less than $800 on speakers if you went with CDT, but they do have sets in the ~$1,000 range. The 3-way sets will handle 150W+ per side depending on which drivers are used, and they will get plenty loud.
Thanks. Reading these forums can be frustrating, because there is no where near here to audition most higher end brands, or even good brands higher end components. There is one Focal dealer in Panama City, about a half hour away. I liked the Polyglass components, the tweeters in the K2's were very nice. Definitely bright, like old MB's, had to be dialed in right to really shine. I have read a lot about Hertz, but again, no where to hear for myself. How do the CDT's compare? To be honest I have read very little about them other than a few posts here. What component sets do you recommend for my set up?

Thanks. Reading these forums can be frustrating, because there is no where near here to audition most higher end brands, or even good brands higher end components. There is one Focal dealer in Panama City, about a half hour away. I liked the Polyglass components, the tweeters in the K2's were very nice. Definitely bright, like old MB's, had to be dialed in right to really shine. I have read a lot about Hertz, but again, no where to hear for myself. How do the CDT's compare? To be honest I have read very little about them other than a few posts here. What component sets do you recommend for my set up?

Any pictures of where you will be installing the component set? What kind of airspace can you give the midrange?

The recommendation needs to take mounting locations and aiming into consideration. If you cannot give the mid enough airspace, the high-pass crossover point will need to increase.

I have been very impressed with Hertz Hi-Energy and Mille systems (2-way and 3-way).

do you have any old school drivers you can use? do you have enough amps to run active? running active will give you the most control and thus the best results.

I heard the hertz 3 way set that retails for like 1500 $ in stores and it sounded awesome honestly. I can get the model number later if ud like to search forthem online

Any pictures of where you will be installing the component set? What kind of airspace can you give the midrange?
The recommendation needs to take mounting locations and aiming into consideration. If you cannot give the mid enough airspace, the high-pass crossover point will need to increase.

I have been very impressed with Hertz Hi-Energy and Mille systems (2-way and 3-way).

do you have any old school drivers you can use? do you have enough amps to run active? running active will give you the most control and thus the best results.
The "woofer" of the set will be in the stock location, which is in the dash. But I have taken apart the enclosure and I will be able to modify it to angle the driver a little inwards and upwards. I can also add a Scanspeak 290001 Aperiodic vent if I need to compensate for a too small enclosure. The "midrange" and tweeter will go up on the a pillar in a custom pod.

I have two mint Soundstream Reference 405's, so yes I can run active. I have a bunch of NIB Audio Control stuff, all like 15 years old that I never used. A Model 11 Center Channel processor/ amplifier, 2 EQL's half octave/ full octave eq's with level matching preamps, 2 each 2SX 18 db per octave active crossovers, and an Epicenter bass restoration processor. Also a crap load of Esoteric Audio gold plated fuse holders, distribution blocks, terminals, Monster patch cables and some rolls of 0 gauge and 4 gauge power and ground wire. For the most part all I need is component speakers and a couple 10 inch sub's for the boxes I am making for under the front seats.

Unfortunately my A/D/S speakers went with the car when I sold it.

But this guy says he's going to be rolling with the Windows down and doors off.

Probably a decent street set up could do for him.

And active head unit with a decent set of components, passive probably, could get the job done. He's already got the amps.

And my grandma lives in Destin, we love going there and Panama city. Where is that focal dealer, I'll swing by there next time I'm down.

Hey kalebkhill, I have doors! Sort of....

8c73b2a4.jpg

You can see in the corners of the dash, there is a small tweeter pod. That will be removed and a custom pod built into the pillar to hold the 3 inch and tweeter.

But this guy says he's going to be rolling with the Windows down and doors off. Probably a decent street set up could do for him.

And active head unit with a decent set of components, passive probably, could get the job done. He's already got the amps.

And my grandma lives in Destin, we love going there and Panama city. Where is that focal dealer, I'll swing by there next time I'm down.
Sommers Audio on west Hwy 98. Around the 4000 block.

Ya. Something loud and clear is what you need.
I agree with the "loud and clear". But during the winter I do put the top on and would like as good sound quality as I can reasonably get. I am by no means trying to make this a competition vehicle, but I would like it to sound good as well as loud. What would you recommend as far as speakers are concerned? I do favor 3 way components....

BTW, I know Phenix City pretty well. I used to run a Region of video stores and had stores around that area. Real nice area. Voted the Best Suburb to raise a family a few years ago....

[quote name='JKDriver']I agree with the "loud and clear". But during the winter I do put the top on and would like as good sound quality as I can reasonably get. I am by no means trying to make this a competition vehicle, but I would like it to sound good as well as loud. What would you recommend as far as speakers are concerned? I do favor 3 way components....

BTW, I know Phenix City pretty well. I used to run a Region of video stores and had stores around that area. Real nice area. Voted the Best Suburb to raise a family a few years ago....[/QUOTE]

It was voted best suburb. I forgot about that. Kind of a dull town. Destin is beautiful.

Alot of good brands have been mentioned here already, CDT being one of them.

But as @keep_hope_alive; said, the quality of your system will depend largely on how you install it, and since you will be closing your jeep up for the winter, then installation is important to retain sound quality.

Choosing a set is one thing, installation and tuning is another.

With all the drivers packed right next to each other a good adjustable 3-way passive crossover would be ideal so you only need 2 amplifier channels instead of 6.

i'm familiar with that tweeter pod size and a 3" is going to take up a lot more space than you may realize. start by putting a 4" diameter PVC cap up there - that is how big it will be (approx)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.