what amp for this sub? (SSA DCON 12D4/S4)

Participant count
  • Participant list

cream1n

I'm really new to this car audio game. successfully installed my first head unit and front door speakers the other day, they sound great. I'm working from the front to back to build my system. I couldnt stand the stock radio so it had to go, the speakers were easy. So, I need to add a good pair of 6x9's and some bass in the back.

I have picked this sub:

DCON 12 Sound Solutions Audio 12" 300W DCON Series Subwoofer - SSA STORE

All the reviews are great, I'm thinking I'll get good "bang for the buck" with this choice. I'm not trying to break the bank right now, and I dont need to rattle any buildings when i drive by. My price limit is about $150 for a sub right now, that falls in there.

So, I need an amp to power this thing. I'm looking to spend less than $150, but if I cant get anything that will work well for that I will up my budget.

What would you suggest?

Also, is it possible for me to buy a higher-end amp, and power both the rear deck 6x9's and a sub from the same amp? sorry im a noob

You could easily buy a good quality 4-channel that has some flexible crossovers to run the front and the sub. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You could easily buy a good quality 4-channel that has some flexible crossovers to run the front and the sub. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
This. amp the front speakers, not your 6x9's, if you want to use a 4 channel. Run your 6x9's off the deck.

This. amp the front speakers, not your 6x9's, if you want to use a 4 channel. Run your 6x9's off the deck.
I wouldn't even power them. Front stage is usually in front of you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I wouldn't even power them. Front stage is usually in front of you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
I've gone with and without. They stuck out like a sore thumb before the kenwood w/time alignment. Now, I have some old eclipse 4ways in the back, but it's pretty much just for the people that end up back there. On the other hand, I've known lots of people that could care less where it sounded like the music was coming from, provided it was loud and clear. To each their own.

Is this a dual 4ohm subwoofer or dual 2ohm? If it is a dual 4ohm, then it can be wired in series for 2ohm load. In this case, I would not recommend bridging a 2 or 4-channel amplifier for it. I'd say get a mono block amplifier. E.g. PPI Black Ice:

Precision Power BK650.1D 650W RMS Mono Class D Black Ice Car Amp

If you had in mind using something like a 4-channel amplifier to power your front speakers and subwoofer, then subwoofer should be 4ohm single voice coil or 2ohm dual voice coil so it could be wired for 4ohm impedance, since most 4-channel amplifiers are only 4ohm stable in bridged mode.

If you still want an amplifier that can power your whole car audio system, including a subwoofer wired for 2ohm, then get a 5-channel amplifier. This is more expensive, but you have 5-channels of power. There are some good deals on Boston Acoustics GTA-1105 5-channel amplifiers. These are sold online for about $210. Personally, I'd recommend Alpine MRX-V70, but it's a little more expensive.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.