were to buy material?

Originally posted by paintball9908 Once I have the board, what else do I need? Like special fasteners, and carpet to cover the box?
I have said it once and ill say it again.... search!!!

you need 1 1/4" course drywall screws, you can buy carpet from partsexpress.com and spray adhesive.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif

speaker wire terminal cups, screws, liquid nails....if you want to cover it...you can cover it with just about anything...carpet to match the trunk, paint (and primer!!), vinyl, leather...lace...it goes on...

tools...measuring tape, pencil, power drill, circular saw, jig saw, file, sandpaper....

you'll also need a basic knowledge in woodworking, an idea...and most importantly: desire. if you care about what you are doing, you'll do a much better job.

fantomas is right. all that really matters is if you have a desire in what you build. if you have a desire, you'll get the best materials and so on. such as 3/4 mdf. but compare screws. you dont want to split the wood just because you have some bulky screws. and if youre cutting angles, invest in an angle finder. theyre like $3-6. when i built my box, it was my main tool, right after my jigsaw. but since i'm really slow, it took me a while to figure out how to use it. another useful tool to use is a straight edge. another main tool. if you cant cut straight lines, youre screwed

Originally posted by My'97Ram another useful tool to use is a straight edge. another main tool. if you cant cut straight lines, youre screwed
Heh, a straight edge of some sort is fine and dandy, but the hell if you can cut a straight line with a hand saw, no matter how hard you try. That first box I made was so uneven, and sanding it all by hand was quite entertaining, to say the least. Lots and lots of glue, screws, and expanding foam.

thats why circular saws are so great. and liquid nails or silicone does a **** good job of filling the gaps of all the mistakes i did..

a circular saw is great. but my dad wont let me use one. he sort of had an accident. so i'm stuck with using a jigsaw. but what i did was i clamped the straight edge down to the board, and its pretty much idiot proof

Originally posted by My'97Ram a circular saw is great. but my dad wont let me use one. he sort of had an accident. so i'm stuck with using a jigsaw. but what i did was i clamped the straight edge down to the board, and its pretty much idiot proof
wow, thats a good idea. if you try cutting a straight line with a jigsaw or hand saw...theres no way it'll be straight. my biggest problem is cutting the holes for the subs.

the only thing my dad wont let me touch is the chainsaw...

Originally posted by My'97Ram i have a hard time cutting holes for subs also... it would be great if all subs copied kickers solo baric square design...
eh....lets not go there....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.