Weird issue with backup camera...please help!

VeDubb

I got a new HU for christmas, a Pioneer avh-4100nex. I installed it in a 2014 Ram, and decided to install a backup cam. It's connected per the instructions, but there's no picture, only a blank screen or horizontal lines. After double checking all connections (only 3 connections) I decided to test the camera; I brought the camera and a small 12 volt battery in the house and plugged it into a tv with a video-in connection and the cam worked great. I took the cam back out and reconnected everything, the camera comes-on, but again no picture. Then, instead of using the backup light circuit to get the 12 volt power to the cam, I used the battery to power the cam and it worked great (good picture on the HU). For some reason the 12 volts coming from the backup circuit is not sufficient for the camera. I actually connected the battery to the pos. and neg. of the b/u light wires while the camera is connected and it worked, but as soon as I disconnected the battery and only had the 12 volts coming from the the b/u circuit, again there's no picture. Anybody else run into this? Anybody have any ideas? I might try a different camera. I am a pretty good automotive tech, but I've never seen a 12 volt product work with one source of 12 volt power but not another. Help!

I got a new HU for christmas, a Pioneer avh-4100nex. I installed it in a 2014 Ram, and decided to install a backup cam. It's connected per the instructions, but there's no picture, only a blank screen or horizontal lines. After double checking all connections (only 3 connections) I decided to test the camera; I brought the camera and a small 12 volt battery in the house and plugged it into a tv with a video-in connection and the cam worked great. I took the cam back out and reconnected everything, the camera comes-on, but again no picture. Then, instead of using the backup light circuit to get the 12 volt power to the cam, I used the battery to power the cam and it worked great (good picture on the HU). For some reason the 12 volts coming from the backup circuit is not sufficient for the camera. I actually connected the battery to the pos. and neg. of the b/u light wires while the camera is connected and it worked, but as soon as I disconnected the battery and only had the 12 volts coming from the the b/u circuit, again there's no picture. Anybody else run into this? Anybody have any ideas? I might try a different camera. I am a pretty good automotive tech, but I've never seen a 12 volt product work with one source of 12 volt power but not another. Help!
Did you connect the green/purple wire on the harness to the reverse wore on the HU? Connecting only the RCA doesn't work. I had the same problem until I connected these two, I have a 2015 ram

I'd be surprised if you have 12v at the rear. I'd say it prob more in the 11v range. I'd check that and if you don't have good solid voltage at the rear tail light, you could always trigger a relay with the reverse light circuit and pull voltage strait from the battery.

if thats the case, use a relay.

but im wandering if your not on the ground wire. or the rear light power/or ground.

you need to prob the harness to make sure you have the power wire to the backup lights.

The camera comes on and there's no picture so it has to be connected properly. If the polarity was wrong the cam wouldn't power on. A relay was going to be my next step.

Well be surprised then because there's 12.7 while not running and 14.2 while running. The battery I used only has 12.3 volts and the cam worked perfectly. It's absolutely the craziest thing I've ever seen. A relay is going to be my next step, but I cannot figure out why that's the case. A lot of work running a hot from the battery just for a b/u cam.

Well be surprised then because there's 12.7 while not running and 14.2 while running. The battery I used only has 12.3 volts and the cam worked perfectly. It's absolutely the craziest thing I've ever seen. A relay is going to be my next step, but I cannot figure out why that's the case. A lot of work running a hot from the battery just for a b/u cam.
thats normal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.