Weird cutout/static on speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

sparten576

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello,
I've had my car system in for some time now and have always had a weird issue where one speaker (or multiple) will cutout randomly and have this static sound to them, see video
(sorry the song was on the radio and it produced the sound)
"
start at 35 seconds

Things I've done to try to fix the issue:
replace the 4 channel amp (twice)
replace all the speakers (twice)

One of my main concerns is my ground. My ground from the trunk to the negative terminal is 2.8 Ohms which I know is bad. I've wire brushed the mounting point and used self-tapping screws around the eye terminal to get a better connection. I've measured other points in the trunk as well as under the driver seat (factory amp mounting location if my car came with it) and the ground point under the carpet is the same 2.8 ohms.

Do you guys have any ideas what is going on?

(4 channel amp, aftermarket head unit)

Try to connect your phone directly to the amplifier. Use a 3.5mm to rca cable which are found in most audio shops.
If the sound improves, then the fault lies in the radio.
Just tried this and no luck. Issue was replicated exactly as before. I'm starting to think it's either the amp or speaker, but I replaced both about 1.5 months ago.

The ground is attached to a bolt inside the trunk. Its wire brushed on the paint. After bolting the ground down i used self tapping screws around the eyelet to get even more contact. I've tested multiple points in the trunk, under the carpet floor after scraping the paint and other bolts in the trunk but cant get anything better than the 2.8 ohms

Haven't tried this yet but I don't think the ground is the main issue here. I spent a good chunk of time moving things, disconnecting speakers, setting different crossovers, gains, and measuring a lot of things.
I think i've come down to the in line crossover for my speaker taking a dump.
I've discovered a repeatable phenomena where the speaker in question will play very quietly compared to the other speakers, unless i turn the volume up a little at a time. Lets say at 5/10 volume all speakers but the one in question is at 70db
when i turn the volume up to 6/10 it will start playing on and off at 70db but heavily staticy and crackly like the above video. If i turn it back down to 5 it gets very quiet again, if i go back to 6 it starts playing again on and off but with the sound issues. If i go to like 8/10 it will always be on but be very back sounding

This is repeatable with my phone as the source and is always the same speaker no matter what terminal of the 4 channel amp i use.

Do you agree that either the speaker or that inline crossover is bad? This is the set of speakers in question https://www.crutchfield.com/S-moE7DQgsMKs/p_113XP6903C/Kenwood-Excelon-KFC-XP6903C.html

I'm not sure how there would be a pinched wire. I've checked all the connections made behind the radio to the factory speaker wire and re-wrapped all of them. As well as checking all the connections at the output of the amp. The only thing I can think of is that the shop I brought the car to install the speakers in the dash did it incorrectly. From what I know toyota Dash/door speakers are wired together, probably parallel and the shop might have wired them wrong somehow but i've always had good results with them before. The speakers that I got were designed for my car to replace the factory ones so I doubt there would be any issues with that.

Another thing i'm going to try is sending a tone through and seeing if I can measure (with an oscilloscope) the speaker terminal on the output of the amp. See if there is anything amiss.

I pulled the speaker out and tested them direct connect to the amp. I also cut the crossover off and measured all sides. I ran the speaker for 5 minutes off the song that reproduced the issue and nothing.
Since the door and dash speaker are wired in parallel I connected the wire that went to the front and the single speaker in parallel on the amp connectors.
Nothing wrong
So I put them back in the dash and hand twisted the wires for now. Only thing I could think of is it happens when I drive. I went for a drive and nothing happened.
So the only thing I can think of is I re crimped the connectors in the dash and apparently I fixed everything.

:(

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.