Watts per sub

A decent amp for this setup would be something like a Rockford 250.2 at 2 ohm load you will probably be getting 150 watts per side or better. Plus if you ever go with a bigger system you can make this amp into your internal speakers amp.

If your subs are single voice coil then the Rockford amps won't work. I've heard conflicting arguments about that, but according to Rockford's specs it wouldn't work. Two SVC subs wired in parallel would need an amp that can handle a 2ohm bridged load. Rockford amps are only 4 ohms bridged stable. I would look for a class D amp that is 2 ohms bridged stable (or 1 ohm stable). As for amount of power I would go for 450 watts RMS total output (or an amp in that range). Some brands to check out are Ultimate, US Acoustics, or MTX. I believe JBL has a decent amp that is stable at 2 ohms bridged. Check out http://www.thezeb.com , and http://www.sounddomain.com - both carry class D amps.

For the record Rockford amps can run at 2ohm bridged. The reps at rockford will tell you no, but I have run 2 500a2 at 2ohms for over 2 years now. My amps do get hot, but they dont clip. Iv also had rockford amps running at 1.67 ohms, now this will make the amp clip after a good 30 minutes of hard pounding. I had that amp hooked up to 3 10w3's and it was just one of my 500's. Anyway Rockfords can and will run at 2ohm bridged and I will stand by that.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

I have (2) jl wo 10's (125 watt rms each) wired in parallel to a jbl bp600.1 (300x1@4 ohm, or 600x1@2or1 ohm). 600 rms watts total on (2)10's pound like hell. BTW, the amp only cost $187 new.

He is right Fosgate amps will run all day and night at 2Ohms. My friend has two 12 jensens LOL and has his fosgate 150.2 at 2 ohms at over 1 year now and never got hot or even shut off on him. sounds pretty **** good for jensens LOL beat out some fosgate zs and mtx 4000s and cost around 20 bucks a piece.

Anyway Rockfords can and will run at 2ohm bridged and I will stand by that-(Quote from blackgeltabs).

So then will you also warranty his amp for him incase it fries because you guaranteed him that it will run fine even though it is completely out of the manufacturers specifications? Rockford amps may run fine at 2 ohms bridged, I will not contest that, but I will never recommend it to anyone either. Rockford amps are a little too expensive to take chances with IMO.

Well bub thats why I buy my **** through an authorized dealer that I know very well. I live in a small town with a small audio shop that my family has done business with for years. If I cook it he will replace it bottom line. Thats why im not a big fan of buying subs/amps on the net, becasue **** happens. If he hooks it up right then he has nothing to worry about becasue HE WONT cook the amp at 2ohms.

Thank you

Gellies still make me bellies go //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

If the amps are covered by full warranty then I can see having no worries. I have a Rockford amp that I have always ran at 4ohms bridged. Between the extreme heat and vibrations a few internal caps came off which Rockford repaired for no charge because of the factory warranty. I can't imagine how hot a 2ohms bridged load would get and what problems could surface from the extreme heat. I'd think that the amps life span would suffer even if it did run for a few years without a problem. But then again, not many people seem to hang on to the same amp for more than a few years.

My advice to smakrabit - A Rockford may run fine at a 2 ohms bridged load, but be aware that if a problem does occur the warranty may not be honored by Rockford because they would see it as mis-use of the equipment. If it does happen to cause damage then you may be SOL.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.