Was looking at this guy's site...

Photonfanatic
10+ year member

TX
Was looking at the sound deadener showdown website. And I noticed something that he neglected to mention. All these sound deadner guys seem to "neglect" to mention an awful lot. Anyway, how in the world are you supposed to get all that stuff to fit under your carpet? Rather, fit under the carpet, and still get all your trim pieces to fit back down? I used an off brand deadener called B-quiet on my 1987 Chevy Silverado. Its just your standard aluminum backed, butyl based rubber CLD Tiles. Works ok. But I had to deal with getting all the panels that touch the floor back down. And that's just with 1 layer of aluminum backed rubber. What if I were to buy all that stuff he recommend on his website? Like foam and vinyl. I have serious doubts that it would even fit under there at all. Has anyone ever run into this? We're talking about at least a half an inch thicker than the car was designed to fit on its floor. What would be your recommendation on how to overcome this?

My carpet in the truck has about a half inch that tucks underneath the kick panels, the door step panels, and the real panels behind the seat. If you go raising the carpet up higher, its simply not going to fit in the truck anymore. I barely got it to fit with just one layer of CLD tiles. Not sure what you other guys are doing, those of you using the rest of the stuff they sell.

A lot of stuff involved in car audio is making things fit where they aren't supposed to go. I know those older GM trucks don't have much under the carpet from the factory and I think I know what you mean about the trim panels not wanting to fit anymore. Your carpet is probably not backed with jute and the factory never put in the money for real soundproofing. Some cars today have quite a bit done for sound deadening and you don't need all the products SDS sells.

My recommendation is to send an e-mail to Don and ask for his suggestions. I don't know if he's worked on your type of vehicle but he'll know what to tell you. His e-mail is linked at the bottom of the page on sounddeadenershowdown.com

My car is slightly newer, '08, and I put sound deadner in the back so far.. It was slightly hard to get the panels to clip back down but if you have a post like clip just cut the hole a bit bigger to allow passage. Patience is virtue! Lol

Anyone here used all that foam and vinyl stuff? If so how well does it work? Were you impressed with the results, over just CLD tiles?

Anyone here used all that foam and vinyl stuff? If so how well does it work? Were you impressed with the results, over just CLD tiles?
SDS covers all this pretty well as to why you really need all 3. CLD is just a vibration reducer. CCF is a decoupler. MLV is the actual soundproofing material.

actually right on his website he goes on to explain that there may not be room and you have to pick which one you would rather have. did you read his website or did you just skim?
I just haven't gone through it in a while. Makes sense, though.

yeah its pretty much about making things fit dude. I would of personally done ccf and mlv on the floor over cld. I cant believe its that tight of a fit though the cld should only raise the carpet 60-80 mil up

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.