Wanting to learn about subwoofers

CodyDaGoat

OR
So I turned 16 a few months back. Since then I've wired 2 sets of subs in my car and my brothers. I always liked my older brothers as a kid as they went very loud and vibrated a **** ton. You could hear him 2 blocks away.

So right now I have coming a CAB 1600.1 amp and 2 15" sundown SA 15s. I want to

Learn more about dubs then the basic wiring and amp settings etc.

I like ghetto rap music with low frequencies in the 30s to los 40s

Basically I've heard a lot about "wiring the amp at 1 ohm or even 0.5 ohm" and a few things about strapping.

My basic question is, how would I get the best quality out of this

Amp and my subs, and how can I get these thing to go LOUD.

And also, where can I learn a lot more about this kind of stuff then just the basics that I know.

If you can't afford to buy an amp that'll be somewhat stable running .5 ohm you definitely can't afford to blow up the cheap amp you have now by trying.

Also, buy yourself some woodworking tools and learn to build boxes. Getting loud and having things sound the way you want will rely on a good bit of experimentation.

A good box is what you need right now. You have to keep in mind your electrical capabilities before trying to wire low like .5 ohm. Powering your amps is crucial to powering your whole system and not destroying equipment. Sounds like your off to a good start

If you can't afford to buy an amp that'll be somewhat stable running .5 ohm you definitely can't afford to blow up the cheap amp you have now by trying.
Also, buy yourself some woodworking tools and learn to build boxes. Getting loud and having things sound the way you want will rely on a good bit of experimentation.
So should I wire it like I normally do, and build a good box until I have better stuff?

A good box is what you need right now. You have to keep in mind your electrical capabilities before trying to wire low like .5 ohm. Powering your amps is crucial to powering your whole system and not destroying equipment. Sounds like your off to a good start
Can anybody explain what it is about "good electrical" that makes .5 ohm safe?

So should I wire it like I normally do, and build a good box until I have better stuff?
Yes. Keep the amp within its intended usage. Regardless of what amp or "good electrical" you have .5 ohm is very hard on semiconductors.

A well made box should be your first order of business, then probably a bigger/better amp when funds permit. Start saving and keep an eye out for a good sale or something to come up used.

Can anybody explain what it is about "good electrical" that makes .5 ohm safe?

Yes. Keep the amp within its intended usage. Regardless of what amp or "good electrical" you have .5 ohm is very hard on semiconductors.

A well made box should be your first order of business, then probably a bigger/better amp when funds permit. Start saving and keep an eye out for a good sale or something to come up used.
Wiring to .5 drops efficiency needing stronger electrical to keep voltage up. Without keeping voltage up you add additional stress to the amp making failure more likely. A quality amp with good quality internals will handle .5 for a long time on good voltage and decent box rise. If you voltage is not kept up it drastically reduces amp life wired lower than recommended. My atomic had no issues running .5 for over 2 years but my taramps are being used at rated 1ohm. Will .5 reduce an amps life, yes even with strong electrical but how much is unknown. Amp under normal conditions might last 20years, at .5 it might be half that with strong electrical, with weak electrical it might not last a day

Wiring to .5 drops efficiency needing stronger electrical to keep voltage up. Without keeping voltage up you add additional stress to the amp making failure more likely. A quality amp with good quality internals will handle .5 for a long time on good voltage and decent box rise. If you voltage is not kept up it drastically reduces amp life wired lower than recommended. My atomic had no issues running .5 for over 2 years but my taramps are being used at rated 1ohm. Will .5 reduce an amps life, yes even with strong electrical but how much is unknown. Amp under normal conditions might last 20years, at .5 it might be half that with strong electrical, with weak electrical it might not last a day

My point exactly. The point being that under any circumstances it is risky.

Ohms law, less voltage= more amperage required. Somethings gotta give if you cannot supply an acceptable voltage and amperage.

That said, most quality amps will handle 0.5 so long as there isnt a voltage drop leading to an unmet amperage draw. My dd m3 survived 0.5 dropping to 11v daily for like 4 years, and that amp is still playing. But the DDs had overbuilt power supplies

So I turned 16 a few months back. Since then I've wired 2 sets of subs in my car and my brothers. I always liked my older brothers as a kid as they went very loud and vibrated a **** ton. You could hear him 2 blocks away.So right now I have coming a CAB 1600.1 amp and 2 15" sundown SA 15s. I want to

Learn more about dubs then the basic wiring and amp settings etc.

I like ghetto rap music with low frequencies in the 30s to los 40s

Basically I've heard a lot about "wiring the amp at 1 ohm or even 0.5 ohm" and a few things about strapping.

My basic question is, how would I get the best quality out of this

Amp and my subs, and how can I get these thing to go LOUD.

And also, where can I learn a lot more about this kind of stuff then just the basics that I know.
They go BOOM!

I learned this the hard way recently when I burned out my brand new Alpine SWR-t12 sub! Cranking it too loudly! :-(

John Kuthe...

There it is again. Talking about yourself in someone else's post..

I was not talking about myself, I was talking about a mistake I made. Sharing my recently gained wisdom in hopes of helping someone else from making the same mistake *I* made!

But I suppose we all or most have to learn these lessons for ourselves! Or don't you believe in letting others make their own mistakes? Wow, how egocentric with a touch of narcissism! Bet you voted for Drumpf!

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.