Want to feel bass more than I hear it!

butterMilk
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
BC
I have a JL 12 w7, and have tried it in 2 different boxes. First I built a nice sealed fiberglass box (about 1.7 cu/ft) and it sounds pretty good, but the bass is kinda too loud and "boomy", and I dont feel it enough.

Second box. I had a old box for 2 12'' subs, I quickly modified it, ported, about 2 cu/ft tuned to about 30hz. Sub faces forward and 4'' round port faces up. So the low notes hit good, but everything else kinda is ''boomy'' and echoes through the car.

Its the frequencies around 50hz that are the most annoying, loud, and overpowering.

What I'm thinking of doing is sealing off the trunk, and putting sub and port forward. Kinda just hoping it sounds better and hits hard.

Anyone have any advice on how to get rid of the loud boomyness? I know the second box is a lil small and not perfect, but the sealed box gave me the same boomy sound, so I think im missing something here.

Yeah my ported box definitely sux!

But the sealed box had the same boomy ness at the 50hz area. Do you think if I had a properly designed ported box, I would be able to get rid of that sound and get a flat response like you say?

Bro, if the low notes are to your satisfaction and you don't like the boomy shit, set the low pass filter to a lower frequency. Or, get some EQ involved and lower that nasty boomy shit.

Yeah my ported box definitely sux!
But the sealed box had the same boomy ness at the 50hz area. Do you think if I had a properly designed ported box, I would be able to get rid of that sound and get a flat response like you say?
Yes, that is entirely possible. The good designers make you make measurements in your car get the most accurate response curves possible.

Do you have a parametric equalizer at hand?
nope //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

If I had one, would I just be basically decreasing output in the 50 hz range? ( thats where it gets all boomy and whatnot)

What I want to achieve is still have it hit decently hard, but without the overpowering sound at the 50hz range. Would the parametric eq help me out?

Very probably you're just picking up a peak there from the effects of the accoustics of your vehicle. I would first experiment with different aiming and positions of the box in the trunk. That can often have a more dramatic effect than a whole different box.

It would be an interesting experiment to see how the same box sounds in a different vehicle or even, say in your living room if you have a suitable amp to test.

Very probably you're just picking up a peak there from the effects of the accoustics of your vehicle. I would first experiment with different aiming and positions of the box in the trunk. That can often have a more dramatic effect than a whole different box.
It would be an interesting experiment to see how the same box sounds in a different vehicle or even, say in your living room if you have a suitable amp to test.
I just might have to try that out, the whole testing in a house idea, would definitely be interesting!

What do you think about the sealed off trunk, sub and port forward idea? Ive never heard one, and dont know anybody willing to tackle a challenge like that. So it looks like if I ever want to hear one, I will have to build it myself!

I just might have to try that out, the whole testing in a house idea, would definitely be interesting!
What do you think about the sealed off trunk, sub and port forward idea? Ive never heard one, and dont know anybody willing to tackle a challenge like that. So it looks like if I ever want to hear one, I will have to build it myself!
I've seen a couple in person. Both are very loud, but peaky....though I think they were designed to be peaky. Since that'll shorten the length of the cabin it will raise the frequency where you will have your peak.

Alternate alternative if you have some box skills is to try to build an exotic bandpass with a peak @ 35 and another peak @ 65 and a valley in between (that will be filled in by your vehicle accoustics balancing out).... no guarantee W7 will even model like that or that it'll give you what you're asking for, but if you say it's a boominess at 50hz my first suspect is that it's mostly accoustics of the car.

Cone are bro, cone area //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif
All I got is one 12 lol, and im not all that satisfied with it. I just hope I can figure this out. Because as of right now my solution is to keep the gain set really low. Just trying to combat the overpowering 50hz, when 50hz hits hard its about all I can hear.

Have you tried stuffing the sealed enclosure yet?That may help with that echoey booming sound?You can do so much with a preamp eq.Id look into picking one up.I recommend running one in just about any system..Sure makes the difference.You can find one for under $100 bill these days

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.