w7= poop...

What are the specs of the box it's in? I'm going to say the box is not proper for the sub. You should also find someone who can set the gain properly for you. For under $200, it's a pretty good sub, and it really shouldn't be distorting at 1000w, even if it's really receiving that power from your amp.

OK well thanks for the advice everyone.

I need to upgrade to a 15" soon though because that's what Im building my fiberglass box for. This 12 is more of a temporary set up. You all think I would be better off selling this sub and buying a different 15 rather than breaking this one down and building some sort of "super sub" with AQ or FI (or the likes of) soft parts though??

dude I agree with you the jl=poop I thought the same thing but the other thing is the jl needs a totally different enclosure besides a mtx box. I had mine in a ho enclosure and I still agree with you. But I fill the same way about btls I like spl monsters sound quality is overated and depending the way your line driver is adjusted a 1/4 way too a half might be too much.My line driver is set at 4 volts peaking 5.6 on burps my gain is adjusted at 1/16 the clipping light come on occasionally on my sd 8k.

OK well thanks for the advice everyone.
I need to upgrade to a 15" soon though because that's what Im building my fiberglass box for. This 12 is more of a temporary set up. You all think I would be better off selling this sub and buying a different 15 rather than breaking this one down and building some sort of "super sub" with AQ or FI (or the likes of) soft parts though??
Yeah, it'll be better off if you buy a new sub rather than trying to rebuild the motor into something it wasn't intended to be. Sell that w7, pick up a 15" HDC3 if you want loud bass for a good price. Lots of other options you can look at too, that's just the first thing that comes to my mind.

I would deff say no to rebuilding it, thats too much work, too much time, too much money, etc.

Its a W7, it may not be as loud as you want, but should deff sound great if properly installed. I believe the 12 is meant to take 750, while the 13.5 is meant to take 1000, though I am sure they can take more.

You can throw that bad boy up on eBay and easily get $300-400

Then you are well on your way to getting a BTL.

i'll guarantee that the box was holding it waayyy back. if you built a proper box, it would sound wwwaaaayyyyy better. either way though, a BTL will smash it in SPL. and youll need about 2500 watts as well. get ready to make your wallet bleed.

I don't quite understand why anyone would want more than 400 watts RMS. Don't you guys think it drowns out your fronts? All I hear is bass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

muddin wolvy

10+ year member
muddin wolvy
Henderson, KY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from