What do you guys think of putting a house sub in a car?

Participant count
  • Participant list

rbtrucking
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a beautiful velodyne ct150 that I have had for about 6 years but the amp on it is starting to fail. I was wondering what you guys think if I was to hook it up to my car amp and throw it in my trunk? Is this a bad idea? Anyone ever done anything like it before?

I don't see why not. to me its all the same typically speakers and subs made for vehicles require more power because you need more powerfull systems in a car....on the other hand you do get cabin gain so IDK.

ya i believe its 8ohms which might actually work out better because my amp has 1100 watts @1 ohm 600 at 4 and like 300 at 8 and the sub is 250 watts rms so it would be a perfect match.

I looked up the specs on my amp and its 300 at 4ohms it doesnt say anything about 8 ohms does that mean it wouldnt be able to run a 8ohm speaker?
it will run it. they usually don't spec at 8 ohms for a car amp. figure about half of what it does at 4 ohms.

it can run an 8ohm speaker, just gonna put less power than the 4ohm rating. I remember back in like 97 we put some vega towers in my bros caddy and it was pretty loud lol.

Ya that sounds awesome. I read a story about some guy putting a old pair of klipsch 4.1 pro media computer speakers in his car and he said it sounded amazing. If anyone has any experience with those speakers then they would have to agree that it probably sounded pretty nice!

Usually home audio/theater subs are tuned lower than car audio setups, because there is no transfer function in a home environment to give you that added bump in the lowest octaves. That may or may not be an issue with your idea, I dont know anything about that sub/enclosure other than velodyne usually makes kick ass gear.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.