Voltmeter wired directly to amp?

Ive got a Voltmeter flush installed into my dash and i was planning on just reading the voltage off the alt but would almost rather read from the amp so i know what the voltage at the amp is after resistance. Question is if i run wire all the way from the amp in my trunk to my voltmeter up front am i going to get an accurate reading? Sorry if its a noob question lol

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

yes, if there's any deficiencies in your ground or wiring, having a voltmeter connected right at the amp will show all of that. One connected to the front batt also helps. If you have a pioneer 80 prs head unit, that has a built in voltmeter that takes care of the front batt.

I had a volt meter near the front dash, and one near the amp in my previous car. This addressed my need to see how many volts were actually reaching the amp. Is this your issue?

Ive got a Voltmeter flush installed into my dash and i was planning on just reading the voltage off the alt but would almost rather read from the amp so i know what the voltage at the amp is after resistance. Question is if i run wire all the way from the amp in my trunk to my voltmeter up front am i going to get an accurate reading? Sorry if its a noob question lol
Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Electrically engineeringly speaking, voltages are normally fine from a distance over fairly thin wires. Current is the thing that burns wires up, not voltage. A voltmeter will have a listed impedance on it, the higher the better, typically in the K to M range especially with all the solid state computerized stuff today. Because you don't want the voltmeter itself to become a load and cause a significant voltage drop.

John Kuthe...

Electrically engineeringly speaking, voltages are normally fine from a distance over fairly thin wires. Current is the thing that burns wires up, not voltage. A voltmeter will have a listed impedance on it, the higher the better, typically in the K to M range especially with all the solid state computerized stuff today. Because you don't want the voltmeter itself to become a load and cause a significant voltage drop.
John Kuthe...

I have never heard of a volt meter that caused such a load it caused significant voltage drop itself... that's one of the dumbest things you typed so far on this website.

I have never heard of a volt meter that caused such a load it caused significant voltage drop itself... that's one of the dumbest things you typed so far on this website.
You are challenging what someone (me) with a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering says about voltage drops and voltmeters? Of COURSE you have never heard of a voltmeter producing a significant voltage drop!! Because that would be a VERY inaccurate voltmeter! DUH!! The best (most accurate) voltmeters has the highest impedance thus produce the lowest voltage drop for the circuit they are testing, Cheap Chinese JUNK voltmeters are less accurate and produce more of a load on the circuit tested. Simple Ohm's Law stuff! I actually knew all this BEFORE I became an Electrical Engineer.

John Kuthe...

doesnt make engineering it any more useful in this application, use the dial on the voltmeter to set your dash meter accurately REGARDLESS of what the wire is doing. probe the end of the wire with an accurate fluke or other dmm and you're done

applying engineering principles to everything and anything will only give you nightmares, ive been there. the way you explained it in your second comment was actually useful in sharing a little knowledge, but you need (imo) to move from flaunting being an engineer to spreading knowledge in a more useful way

doesnt make engineering it any more useful in this application, use the dial on the voltmeter to set your dash meter accurately REGARDLESS of what the wire is doing. probe the end of the wire with an accurate fluke or other dmm and you're done
applying engineering principles to everything and anything will only give you nightmares, ive been there. the way you explained it in your second comment was actually useful in sharing a little knowledge, but you need (imo) to move from flaunting being an engineer to spreading knowledge in a more useful way
That's exactly what I did when I typed "Electrically engineeringly speaking, voltages are normally fine from a distance over fairly thin wires. Current is the thing that burns wires up, not voltage. A voltmeter will have a listed impedance on it, the higher the better, typically in the K to M range especially with all the solid state computerized stuff today. Because you don't want the voltmeter itself to become a load and cause a significant voltage drop." But then Loudz came on and attacked me with it's ignorance and I retaliated.

John Kuthe...

Check if the voltmeter has a small potentiometer on it for calibration. If it does check the voltage at the amp with a multimeter and use a small screwdriver to turn it until the reading matches.

[quote name='JohnKuthe']That's exactly what I did when I typed "Electrically engineeringly speaking, voltages are normally fine from a distance over fairly thin wires. Current is the thing that burns wires up, not voltage. A voltmeter will have a listed impedance on it, the higher the better, typically in the K to M range especially with all the solid state computerized stuff today. Because you don't want the voltmeter itself to become a load and cause a significant voltage drop." But then Loudz came on and attacked me with it's ignorance and I retaliated.

John Kuthe...[/QUOTE]

ooh it was @Loudz that's @massivespl

you can reference this thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/thunderdome-forum-members-only/626334-massivespl-aka-complainer.html

any time he gets too annoying just report him for using a duplicate account

[quote name='wew lad']ooh it was @Loudz that's @massivespl

you can reference this thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/thunderdome-forum-members-only/626334-massivespl-aka-complainer.html

any time he gets too annoying just report him for using a duplicate account[/QUOTE]

Nahh, too much of my valuable (to me) time and mind to worry about such stuff.

I just wanna get Baby II's Alpine audio system installed, tuned and rockin! Is there better than Alpine? Of course. But Alpine is what I chose cause I loved the Alpine system Hi Fi Fo Fum installed in Baby:

225620_162650400462115_7079830_n.jpg

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.