Theoretically, could a 1ohm stable amp run subs wired at .5?

Participant count
  • Participant list

brice15s

CarAudio.com Recruit
Virginia
Running two 15 inch 750w rms subs, could this blow my amp up? I have a setup where plenty of air can get on all sides of them amp. And have a high output alternator on the way.

Well I know it *could* blow it up. just wondering about how long it would take, or maybe it can handle it under the correct conditions.

Unless it's a cheater amp designed for this, and that info was hidden from the specs, there is a chance the amp will blow up running it at half ohm, more of "when". If the amp could handle 0.5 ohm, the manufacturers would rate them at it, it would help sell amps being able to do that. Running an amp at half it's rated impedance is asking it to deliver far too much current / power. It could blow in the first 5 minutes, it could last a year, no one can say. But, if the amp is truely only 1-ohm stable, running it at 0.5 is bad, there are no conditions that are correct if the amp was never designed for this load.

What subs? Brand and model #s? and What amplifier? Stock electrical or upgraded electrical?What size is the supply for the demand and fusing size,and type, and what kind of wiring being used?OFC or CCA? what battery or batteries being used in the vehicle, size, brand and type, and Alternator size? Have you done the Big3? If so,,, what size wiring used? Any amp can fail as well as subs due to poor installations as well as configurations and abuse

Unless it's a cheater amp designed for this, and that info was hidden from the specs, there is a chance the amp will blow up running it at half ohm, more of "when". If the amp could handle 0.5 ohm, the manufacturers would rate them at it, it would help sell amps being able to do that. Running an amp at half it's rated impedance is asking it to deliver far too much current / power. It could blow in the first 5 minutes, it could last a year, no one can say. But, if the amp is truely only 1-ohm stable, running it at 0.5 is bad, there are no conditions that are correct if the amp was never designed for this load.
got a really good deal on it, so I think ill yolo it for a while and keep a close eye on it. let it run wide open for 30 min straight in a parking lot. if it can do that, it can handle my daily volumes. more or so worried about it catching fire in my trunk than the amp itself

What subs? Brand and model #s? and What amplifier? Stock electrical or upgraded electrical?What size is the supply for the demand and fusing size,and type, and what kind of wiring being used?OFC or CCA? what battery or batteries being used in the vehicle, size, brand and type, and Alternator size? Have you done the Big3? If so,,, what size wiring used? Any amp can fail as well as subs due to poor installations as well as configurations and abuseMJP1522 (2 of them

What subs? Brand and model #s? and What amplifier? Stock electrical or upgraded electrical?What size is the supply for the demand and fusing size,and type, and what kind of wiring being used?OFC or CCA? what battery or batteries being used in the vehicle, size, brand and type, and Alternator size? Have you done the Big3? If so,,, what size wiring used? Any amp can fail as well as subs due to poor installations as well as configurations and abuse
Memphis Audio MJP1522, Pioneer GM-DX971, if I do this, it will be when I have a 250amp output alternator, may also upgrade battery. takes three 40 amp fuses on the amp, pure copper wiring, 2008 Honda civic lx 1.8L, not sure on battery yet, alternator will be 250amp, Im doing the big 3 here soon, plan on using 1/0. Yeah I know, and I plan on abusing the hell out of this amp

Memphis Audio MJP1522, Pioneer GM-DX971, if I do this, it will be when I have a 250amp output alternator, may also upgrade battery. takes three 40 amp fuses on the amp, pure copper wiring, 2008 Honda civic lx 1.8L, not sure on battery yet, alternator will be 250amp, Im doing the big 3 here soon, plan on using 1/0. Yeah I know, and I plan on abusing the hell out of this amp
I would run @2 ohms stable. Find an amplifier that will get you the RMS values of the 15s @2 ohms stable in my opinion, or find a 1/2 ohm stable mono amplifier. These subs need some space to perform from specs .Hopefully you find the room for the pair in that vehicle to get them to shine. That pioneer will Cook very shortly @1/2ohm. Prob go directly into Protect and never come back alive. Have you purchased the amp and subs yet?

Last edited:
Plenty of power @2 ohms from this amplifier and will prob rattle and tear your car apart if you tune your enclosure properly and do not do any kind of deadening and bracing for the vehicle. Might look at a Taramps 3 k @2 ohms also for the coin/$ and space saver

Can I add to this I’m stumped. My amp is 1 ohm stable and when I wired my 2 subs in parallel to get them down to 1 ohm both of which are dvc I keep getting.5 ohms I have gone over it many many times he’l keep getting .5 ohm someone help please

Can I add to this I’m stumped. My amp is 1 ohm stable I have 2 dvc subs wired at 1ohm however it’s not 1 ohm they’re at .5 ohm I’ve gone over it many times and I cant get them to 1 ohm I’d appreciate any input thanks

Impedance (z) is different than resistance (r). Impedance is a combination of resistance and inductive reactance. That is why it varies based on frequency, and also why an ohmmeter cannot measure Impedance.

To op: the short answer is maybe, but don't gamble with more than you can afford to lose.

Can I add to this I’m stumped. My amp is 1 ohm stable I have 2 dvc subs wired at 1ohm however it’s not 1 ohm they’re at .5 ohm I’ve gone over it many times and I cant get them to 1 ohm I’d appreciate any input thanks
I recommend wiring to the 2 ohm load on the amp you stated you have, or you can wire to an 8 ohm load for amp stability. You can wire one sub to 1 ohm load with amp you have as well. To run .50/half ohm load.. you will need the supply for the demand and an amplifier that can handle the .50 stable load

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...