Voltage dropping at amp terminals

Participant count
  • Participant list
I went to autozone today, and they tested the battery and stuff and said that my battery is being fully charged but that the battery has dead cells. I thought this was weird because the battery is not even a week old.

I went to autozone today, and they tested the battery and stuff and said that my battery is being fully charged but that the battery has dead cells. I thought this was weird because the battery is not even a week old.
Get the battery replaced then have them load test the alt ..they wont test the alt when the batt is bad

Ah, ok! that makes sense! thanks! if they load test it and its bad, what should i do? would buying a bigger alternator be a good idea, or should i buy a second battery and parallel wire it?

Ah, ok! that makes sense! thanks! if they load test it and its bad, what should i do? would buying a bigger alternator be a good idea, or should i buy a second battery and parallel wire it?
Id take the alt back to your good friend and ask why he didnt replace the regulator and have him replace it free for ****** up

Id get a new alt...going with a ho alt is up to you . If you plan on upgrading over 2000rms in the near future id say go for it ..but if not a stock alt will be fine ..and as far as the 2nd battery ..really wont be needed unless u cross that 2k mark..just replace the battery under the hood with a good agm battery

Ill replace the battery tomorrow, and talk to my friend about the alternator voltage regulator. As for the ho alt, ill prolly not do that...you think the stock alt will be sufficient for a 500wrms system? i rarely push it over like 400watts if i even feel like pushing it that high.

Ill replace the battery tomorrow, and talk to my friend about the alternator voltage regulator. As for the ho alt, ill prolly not do that...you think the stock alt will be sufficient for a 500wrms system? i rarely push it over like 400watts if i even feel like pushing it that high.
Yea the stock alt will handle around 1500-2000rms fine if u add a second batt at that power ..but you will be fine

ok thanks! i thought it might just be the amp, because i checked the subs and the tinsel leads and everything seemed fine, just the voltage kept dropping right when the power and ground wire touched the terminals. Ive thought about a second battery for some time. would it really help with taking some stress off the alternator?

ok thanks! i thought it might just be the amp, because i checked the subs and the tinsel leads and everything seemed fine, just the voltage kept dropping right when the power and ground wire touched the terminals. Ive thought about a second battery for some time. would it really help with taking some stress off the alternator?
500 watts your alt wont be stressed 800 rms up is when it starts

With the power ur running no way id add a 2nd battery ..just get a agm battery for under the hood

excuse me for asking, but what is an agm battery? and approximately how much will one cost?
Absorbic glass mat. Is what agm stands for its a deep cycle sealed battery ..works alot better for car audio then a standard wet cell battery ..where did you get ur battery from ..i get my agm batts from sams club if u have a membership they are 130 for most under the hood sizes...auto zone and all parts stores have their own brand of agm ..auto zone is duralast platinum agm..oeirelleys is super start extreme agm .

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.