Voltage drop from A/C

Participant count
  • Participant list
What do you mean by kicking on?
you alt is not always on. only starts at set RPM. and the AC is not always engaged.

So, if you engage the AC and notice a voltage drop, it could be that your alt is not charging very good. or that your batteries are not hold a good charge to sustain the new load created by the AC.

When the A/C compressor's electromagnetic clutch is engaged it definitely draws some juice to keep that sucker locked in. Plus the a/c relay engages the fan for the engine and the cabin blower motor, that draws some current too. The amount of normal voltage drop is something I do not know, but it should not drop too much. Check around online or check a friends car and see how much the voltage drops when the clutch is engaged. Could be nothing, unless it is a lot, then there might be a problem with the battery or alternator.

agreed with above.

all depends on the vehicle, engine size, alternator size, and any other electrical loads.

as mentioned, alternator output varies with RPM. at idle, you're not getting much output from a stock alt.

how low is the drop? at rest, your battery should maintain 12.5-12.8VDC. the alternator should be able to maintain 13.8-14V.

if you have a standard lead acid battery, make sure your water levels are adequate.

My battery died sometimes when i cut the car off it wouldnt crank when i tried to start it. I had my battery and alt checked they say they were both good but prob still continued especially during the night from my hid's. I changed batteries and after the car sat over night new battery was dead. I took the car to get the alternator rebuilt. The man at the shop told me my belt wasnt tight enough to make the alt do what it needed to, so i tightened it and lately the car havent died on me. I have a 82 malibu and the only electrical components are HIDs viper 5901 thats all no radio. I dont know if this will help you but it could just be a bad alt belt or its not adj properly

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.