Amp gets hot need help

mindless_soul
10+ year member

I'm trying to figure out why my amplifier gets so hot after being on for like 30 mins. I have a Planet Audio AC5000.1D hooked up to a 15 inch 4 ohm Rockford Fosegate P3. I know the amp isn't really 5000 watts but it should be enough to push a 1000/500 rms p3 15 with no problem. I'm using 4 gauge wire and have the amp on a 2 ohm load, and I have the gain around 25% up n bass boost about 15% up. So does anyone know why the amp gets hot after like 30 mins?? and one more thing how big of a fuse should I be using for this amp? cause right now I have a 100 amp fuse hooked up.

well the amp is located in the trunk so i don't think its the air flow, but maybe it could be the ground connection?? the ground wire is around 2 feet long, n i have it connected to this black bar connected to my car in the trunk could it be that? or is this type of amp known to get hot like this

some amps are completely sealed up with no vents and rely strictly on their heat sinks and they get REALLY hot.. might be your issue.. Had a few oldschool rockfords you couldn't touch but they would run fine...

honestly I would set it with a dmm and turn the boost off and see if that helped..

As for it being fine idk how long it will last.. I had that rockford for a year running like that and it was still fine.. I still have it just not hooked up in my daily..

where is it mounted and how is it mounted..

well it just sitting in the trunk floor behind the speaker box, there is lots of space for the amp, well i do have an equalizer n cross over hooked up to the amp, i just use them to increase the signal for i dont have to turn the gain so high ect.

hopefully it's screwed down to the floor (not into the spare tire //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ) and not just sitting on the floor loose. car audio equipment should be secured to the vehicle, boxes secured with L-brackets.

all amps get hot. if you want to improve the longevity - add a fan or two.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.