Very weird voice coil configuration question.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tehgregzor
10+ year member

Enjoys loud noises.
Murray,KY
A friend tells me today he got ripped off. He bought 2 no-name comp DVC 12" subs. He comes over, takes them out of the box to see what brand they are, and to measure the coils. They are Dual 1 ohm. Well...one is. The other has a damaged coil, it did not complete a circuit. I have a 1 ohm stable amp, so he connected his first sub's voice coils in series to make a two ohm load, and connected the positive of VC#1 to the positive lead of the terminal, and the negative of VC#2 to the negative terminal. Screws that in, then, he goes on to connect the one working voice coil on the second sub directly to the termials, respecting polarity. My brutus1200d is a 1 channel amp. It has two positive speaker terminals, and two negatives. He attaches each sub to its own terminal.

What resistance am I presenting to the amp? is it a 2ohm load and a 1 ohm load in parallel to create a .66 ohm load?

Yes, I read in crutchfield:

[Crutchfield.com]Most mono amps have two sets of speaker terminals for convenience of installation: if you are hooking up two subs to the amp and using large-gauge wire, it gives you a place to attach the wires without having to trim them, appearing as if each subwoofer gets its own terminal. But in reality, these terminals are actually tied together inside the amp — both positives are going to the same place inside the amp, as are both negatives.
So yes, they are wired as parallel from the amp to both subs, a 2ohm load and a 1ohm load ran to create a 0.66ohm load.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.