Very short run of 0 gauge... CCA or OFC?

Participant count
  • Participant list

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
I'm trying to decide what wire to use. I have a 1986 Pontiac Fiero. For those of you who know what it looks like, you can probably understand why I have trouble putting subs in. This is my third install and I still have 20 feet of Knukonceptz CCA 0 gauge wire.

I have a Visonik v4000xd. It uses the same board as the MA audio HK4000D. I will be running it at 2 ohms on 14.4 volts.

Rms Power at 14.4V DC: 2500W @ 4 Ohm, 3500W @ 2 Ohm

Rms Power at 17V DC: 3000W @ 4 Ohm, 4000W @ 2 Ohm

Its going to be powering a Sundown X-10 d4 that is rated at 1250 RMS (I was going to buy a z4, but I was able to get the x at a great price).

Basically, I was wondering what I should do about wiring. I have been doing a lot of research on CCA vs OFC. I read somewhere that CCA could only transfer about 60% the power that OFC can transfer.

It takes less than 4 feet of wire to run from my battery to the amplifier. I'm going to replace my stock battery with an XS power D1200. Also, getting the alternator rebuilt for high output this summer and doung the big 3 upgrade.

Here are my options:

1. Do one run of CCA wire that I have already---Free

2. Get dual inputs and do two runs of the wire I have---$28

3. Upgrade to 100% OFC 4/0 (quadruple zero) gauge welding wire---$63

Will it even make a difference, because the length of wire is so short???

Also, should I get the $30 battery heat protection wrap? It does get really hot in my engine bay, because the radiator is in the front and my engine is in the back...

Your input is appreciated!

Thanks, I didn't think so either. I just wanted to check before I cut a new length of wire and hooked it up. I know I won't be pushing the amp very hard when I'm running the X-10, but I really didn't want to starve it.

I've heared the amp that I have is power hungry, and I already burnt up some of the wire on my last build (didn't blow the 300 amp fuse). Sorry, I forgot to include that.

2 runs of CCA has less resistance and can safely carry more current than an equal sized run of OFC. You'll probably be ok with a single run, but I would personally do two runs.

Cody from dropping hz did a test on it, and there was a minimal drop in power.

Thanks! Its helpful that he used roughly the same length that I'll use. It was only about 100-200 watts less, because of the half volt difference.

I'm just worried because I fried an old Alpine amp a while ago. I was running it at too low of an impedance, and didn't supply enough current.

Running the Visonik around 2k @ 2 ohms, I should be good with the CCA. Right?

2 runs of CCA has less resistance and can safely carry more current than an equal sized run of OFC. You'll probably be ok with a single run, but I would personally do two runs.
So you think its worth the 28 bucks for the dual inputs? I have plenty of wire

I would. Are you including the cost of an extra fuse holder, too?
No, I didn't. I was just going to merge both runs at the fuse before my battery, then run two leads oof of that to the battery. If I went with two seperate fuse holders, what amp fuses do you think I should use? A fuse holder is like 5 bucks on ebay, so it would be about $33 dollars then. I have a few different extra fuses lying around

I would too. You can go ahead and use one run, but I would order the dual inputs.
I need to make sure the rubber gromit in my firewall is big enough for two runs, but I think its fine. I'll order the dual inputs after I check

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.