Using DMM when voltage is lower than 14.4V

Participant count
  • Participant list

zako
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
TX
Let's assume that the amplifier RMS watt rating is honest at 14.4V. What do we do if the alternator puts out something like 13.8V or so? Is there a formula to deduce the RMS watt limit at lower voltage?

Let's assume that the amplifier RMS watt rating is honest at 14.4V. What do we do if the alternator puts out something like 13.8V or so? Is there a formula to deduce the RMS watt limit at lower voltage?
Measure your alts voltage at the front battery, or alt its self. See if its higher than in the rear. You may have a wiring issue.

But the actual answer would be to aim low. I'd knock at least 15 percent off the 14.4 rms figure. Much more if its an amp known to not do rated. If not, you'll clip it pretty bad.

Many of the non-maintstream brands (SA, DC, B2, etc.) also list ratings at 12.6V. If they don't, I'm sure you could email them and they wouldn't have a problem providing that info.

There's no formula to calculate that, it totally depends on the amp design. This is a case where an oscilloscope is better than a DMM.

Yes well this is my best shot at it, if everything else stays the same efficiency and such, since the amplifier is linear with respect to voltage then it should be just a ratio between (oem rms watts)/14.4=(rms watts at lower voltage)/13.8 and just solve for the rms watts at lower voltage. By multiplying 13.8 to each side.

You can do it by max fusing because that is the max allowable amperage in.. but it's not perfect it can give you a general idea on most reputable amps.

Lets say you have a max fuse of 250a at 14.4 (unlikely to sustain it) 14.4x250= 3600w(.65) = 2340w after average 1 ohm effeciencey.

Yes well this is my best shot at it, if everything else stays the same efficiency and such, since the amplifier is linear with respect to voltage then it should be just a ratio between (oem rms watts)/14.4=(rms watts at lower voltage)/13.8 and just solve for the rms watts at lower voltage. By multiplying 13.8 to each side.
Not true. My amp is 1/2 power at 12V. Your formula implies that it should be 12/14.44 or 83%. Some amps can maintain full power at lower voltages, some can't.

Indeed, I have RMS watt spec at 12V and 14.4V. I am thinking of just taking the mean of two to be safe.

I have similar concerns. The system voltage is controlled by a computer in my car and I can't be certain I'll have 14V with engine running. Gotta make a compromise I guess.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.