Using 4 gauge to wire capacitor on 1/0 gauge system?

marquisbrah
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
My amp is wired on 1/0 power and ground. My friend gave me this capacitor. I dont need it, but they look kinda nice lol. However ive had a hard time finding the 1/0 ring connectors that go on the capacitors for power and ground. Ill order them soon, but till then would it be wrong to split the 1/0 power into two 4 gauge ring terminals and do the same for ground? I also have a distribution block that i can use to wire both 4 gauge outputs to the cap and one for the amp. Juss askin. Thanks!

first... what amp are you running, what subs are you pushing, etc.. more details needed for the wiring. but, before anyone starts flaming... i'll just state it very simply. capacitors are USELESS in 99% of car audio installs... and can actually end up robbing you of power if installed wrong. i wouldnt even use it, since you stated you dont even need it.

throw it away and dont worry about it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
But its so shiny and it lights up in different colors ! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif lol

first... what amp are you running, what subs are you pushing, etc.. more details needed for the wiring. but, before anyone starts flaming... i'll just state it very simply. capacitors are USELESS in 99% of car audio installs... and can actually end up robbing you of power if installed wrong. i wouldnt even use it, since you stated you dont even need it.
Its a kicker kx 1200.1 with 2 kicker l7 15s. Yea i know i dont need it but assuming theres no harm, i figured it might look nice lol

But its so shiny and it lights up in different colors ! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif lol
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

it'll make you look like a n00b to anyone that knows wtf they're doing...

then stick it in ur room and use it as a night light....dont do it man just get a smaller second batt

Its a kicker kx 1200.1 with 2 kicker l7 15s. Yea i know i dont need it but assuming theres no harm, i figured it might look nice lol
capacitors, installed improperly, can actually rob you of power, as they pull a good amount of amps to build up before the "fire" ... like i said before, dont even use it... if you want some lights, buy some cheap LED's on ebay and hook them up.

with the system your running, on most cars, you should be fine with just a big 3, and 1/0 gauge wiring ... unless you wanted to drop a second, smaller batt in the back, which may help you keep the volts up when pushing the subs hard

then stick it in ur room and use it as a night light....dont do it man just get a smaller second batt
Yea ur probably right. I was actually able to find the 1/0 ring connectors and i bought them. **** waste lol

capacitors, installed improperly, can actually rob you of power, as they pull a good amount of amps to build up before the "fire" ... like i said before, dont even use it... if you want some lights, buy some cheap LED's on ebay and hook them up.
with the system your running, on most cars, you should be fine with just a big 3, and 1/0 gauge wiring ... unless you wanted to drop a second, smaller batt in the back, which may help you keep the volts up when pushing the subs hard

What is considered to be an improper install? I actually bought the ring connectors before these last replies, but i guess i wont be needing them anymore lol

To those suggesting i get another battery, this would mean a HO alternator as well? Also, just as a random question, what is a battery isolator and what does it do?

nope. bats are basically a cheaper alternative to getting an HO alt lol. a deka or something in the back would help a lot if you are experiencing some bad voltage drop.

a battery isolator is good if you're playing your system with the car off. what it does is basically isolates your rear battery so you don't drain your front one, it allows current flow in one direction but not the other

XSTATIC BATCAP MODEL 400 | eBay

NEW SHURIKEN SK-BT20 20 AH CAR AUDIO BATTERY | eBay

SHURIKEN SK-BT35 Battery w/ 35AH and 950 Cranking Amps | eBay

NEW KINETIK KHC800 CAR AUDIO BATTERY CELL KHC-800BLUE | eBay

all good batteries

or even better buy some deka's on here

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/electrical-wiring-classifieds/506110-bad4healths-deka-c-d-batteries-thread.html

this would give u plenty of power, id then put an isolator on it. and run your system strictly off the deka and alternator so it wont destroy your front battery, problem is that standared batteries dont last long if their discharged and charged a lot. the isolator and this deka will prolong your front batteries life.

To those suggesting i get another battery, this would mean a HO alternator as well? Also, just as a random question, what is a battery isolator and what does it do?
as far as the HO alternator... it depends on the car... if your in a honda, or something with a lil 60-70 amp alt... then it still not a MUST, but it would def help... other cars, with higher amp alts should be able to sustain a second, smaller batt in the back with the big 3 being done correctly... but thats the big thing... if you try to install a second batt on your stock wiring (w/o doing big 3) .... your going to end up working against yourself

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.