use external fuse and bypass internal fuse

Participant count
  • Participant list

CarAudioAddict
10+ year member

What did I do now?
Alberta
I have an Amplifier with two 40-AMP ATO-style fuses. These fuses are wired parallel inline with the Battery terminal.

I would like to bypass these two fuses (as I cannot get any 40-AMP ATO style fuses within 500KM of my home), and replace them with a single 80-AMP fuse.

My first thoughts were to use wire in place of the original fuses, and plae the 80-AMP fuse on the BAT+ line.

I know most enthusiasts will frown on bypassing fuses as they are your primary line of protection if something goes severely wrong. But on the same note, I'm not running the Amplifier unfused, If there is a short that would blow the two 40's I'm sure it would blow an 80.

I have also beeen told to "build" my own fuses using fusable-links and male crimp connectors. I do like this idea in that it still uses two 40-AMP "fuses".

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this, or possibly any other suggestions. Please take into account that I cannot get ATO style 40-AMP fuses, and so simply replacing them is not an option.

I actually think you will get by with a 30 amp fuse instead of a 40 amp fuse man. My 8 guage wiring kit had a 40 amp ato fuse that came with it and it went south from the connectors getting so hot from not having a good connection in the holder so I had to fix my holder by squeezing the contacts back together but now im running only a 30 amp fuse in its place which most ato fuse kits come with one this large and I havent blown it yet. It even ran my Profile 600 and my Premier PRS-X220 without blowing it and the premier amp itself has a 30 amp fuse on the chassis. The profile has a 60 amp fuse rating, 3 20 amp ato's.

Well, I replaced the fuses with some 30A, and I now know why the 40A blew...

As soon as the 30's were in and power reconnected, I saw smoke from the Amp and the fuses blew. Sounds like a dead short somewhere.

Hmm....You say that the amp itself started smoking and then the fuses blew. If it was in fact the amp itself smoking you my friend have some blown transistors somewhere in your amp. Sounds as though your amp is fried.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.