Subs cut out

MXJMR
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I installed my friends amp and two 10"s w/ an 8 gauge amp kit. He recently Bought two 15" flame q's and i told him hes gonna need to get a larger gauge power and ground, and a circuit breaker. He blew the fuse in no time and i put a new 60 amp fuse in (a 60 amp was in before) then got 4 gauge power and ground. Once he turns it up to about 16 it will stop hitting and you have to turn it down a notch and it will hit again we are going to put a circuit breaker in (atleast 140 amp maybe 200 amp) and i was wondering if this would fix the problem. If not what is the problem and how do i fix it.

Before you keep on going up the amp rating of the circuit breaker, tell us what type of amp you're talking about.

It might need like a 140A fuse, but it might not. It COULD very well be a connection problem.

Only when you turn it down, you get power again. I suspect the amp might be going into protection (wrong ohmload)

hey, i kinda got the same situation, i have 2 mtx 6000 12's (4 ohm subs) wired at 2ohms with a 2ohm stable kenwood 7201 (800W)

at higher volumes it cuts, probably going into protection?? my grounds and connections are fine. so obviously w/e u can suggest would be cool

I figure i won't play it till i get some feedback bein a rookie and all.

thank ya

hey, i kinda got the same situation, i have 2 mtx 6000 12's (4 ohm subs) wired at 2ohms with a 2ohm stable kenwood 7201 (800W)at higher volumes it cuts, probably going into protection?? my grounds and connections are fine. so obviously w/e u can suggest would be cool

I figure i won't play it till i get some feedback bein a rookie and all.

thank ya
That amp is NOT 2 ohm BRIDGED stable. You either have to run each sub to its own channel, or wire the subs in series and bridge the amp. Either way you'll get the same amount of power to the subs. I suggest running one sub to each channel, thats the easier way to do it.

it could be the OHM problem being that ur amp is not 2ohm stable when bridged if that is the case if not i could be all sorts of things like a ground feedback (your sub xcrusioning to much throwing feedback through ur RCA`s if thats the case turn the gains down

hey guys

thx for the reply guys,

tommy: wont runnin each sub to its own channel lose power by not bridging?

you guys should see the box I built for my 66 c-10 step side, i'll get a pic soon and post it, it's nothin too special but it fits mint and looks great.

thx for the help

hey guysthx for the reply guys,

tommy: wont runnin each sub to its own channel lose power by not bridging?

you guys should see the box I built for my 66 c-10 step side, i'll get a pic soon and post it, it's nothin too special but it fits mint and looks great.

thx for the help
You will lose power, but your amp cannot handle a 2 ohm bridged load so it's pretty much your only option.

B&R

my gains are set at 100 for the lpf and 1 for the input sensitivty.

if i rewire my subs to 4 ohms bridged wut would you suggest for those levels?

B&Rmy gains are set at 100 for the lpf and 1 for the input sensitivty.

if i rewire my subs to 4 ohms bridged wut would you suggest for those levels?
You can't wire your subs to a 4 ohm bridged load. You can either have a 2 ohm (parallel) load or an 8 ohm (series) load.

tommy

based on my system (in a previous post) do you think i'd be able to wire it to an 8 ohm series? if so, could u whip up a diagram for me?

i realy appreciate all the help

tommybased on my system (in a previous post) do you think i'd be able to wire it to an 8 ohm series? if so, could u whip up a diagram for me?

i realy appreciate all the help
Well, i dont have a diagram, but i can tell you what to do. It's pretty easy actually. Take the + from the bridged channel on the amp, run it to the first subs +, then run wire from the first subs - to the second subs +, then run wire from the second subs - to the - on the bridged channel on the amp.

Here's a link to some pics.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.