Use Android tablet as a head unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

preezy

Hello guys,

I'd like to know if I could use my Nexus 7 Android tablet as my headunit. Here's what i'm planning.

System components:

Nexus 7 Android tablet

ID 6.5 Component set

(USB DAC - FiiO

Audison 3CH amp

(2) Sundown E8's

View attachment 26540313

The Nexus 7 would be mounted on on the dash via telescoping windshield mount. From the Nexus 7 I would transfer the audio signal to a yet to be determined USB DAC, which would then transfer signal to my Audison 3Ch amp via RCA cables.

I know I've tried something similar in the past using an Iphone connected directly to the amp and it worked fine. One problem I encountered while doing this was some crackling or loud popping from the speakers if the Iphone wasn't connected through the 3.5mm head phone jack prior to powering on the system. Other than this issue, can you guys think of any other problems?

Thanks for any help guys!

A couple issues I see:

1. the S/N ratio of the tablet is quite a bit lower than a good headunit - which may be problematic if your running directly to an amp with no signal processor

2. I haven't been able to find the actual audio hardware specs on that tablet, but I'd suspect the sound quality of your system is going to suffer - limited by the quality of the audio processing in the tablet. I've got a Toshiba Thrive here, and can say the sound quality is pretty bad when piped into my Alpine headunit. Haven't tried other manufacturers though - so this may vary quite a bit from tablet to tablet.

3. maybe not a huge issue for you - but you'll lose the ability to play CD's directly (let alone how you'll add content to the tablet). Do they offer a wireless service on those or will you be removing it from the car to add to?

JL audio makes and integration device that should work just fine, has a line driver and noise filter built in. think its like rlbc or something.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

we use it alot on power sports vehicular, always sounds great.

Thanks for the reply's guys! I've been doing some more research on the Nexus 7, and the audio outputted does ****, but the USB DAC I'll be using has both line driver and noise filter built in, so I should be good there.

I'm not concerned with CD's as I'll be storing my music on the 16GB internal storage. I can also add more storage by connecting a usb flash drive, or SD card, so expansion isn't an issue either.

Here are the specs of the tablet just in case someone else is curious:

Tegra 3 Quad core @ 1.2

1GB RAM

GPS

7 " 1280x800 IPS

Here is a link to another install utilizing a Nexus 7:

Nexus 7: The Ultimate Car Stereo - Nexus 7 - RootzWiki

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.