USAlternators: what's the word?

ObTechAudio

Senior VIP Member
Provo, UT
I've seen a lot of discussion recently around H/O alternators and specific brands. Some customer reveiws have been awseome, and some have been not so awesome (catching on fire). When I was in the process of building my first big build, I did countless hours of research on Mechman, Ohio Gen, Iraggi, Singer, DC Power, Excessive Amperage, etc., and I decided to go with a Singer 270a. It was great... until my car was stolen.

So now I find myself making an even bigger build in a new vehicle, and I now need to purchase a larger power plant. I had a great experience with Singer, but has anybody ever heard of USAlternators? Their stuff looks top notch. It's a bit pricey, but from what I've hear, they are using awesome materials and not trying to make these as cheap as possible with sub-par parts. I have pasted some images below.

What are your thoughts?

14ltrmh.jpg

nd8ryt.jpg

330qza1.jpg

23kdahz.jpg

25apxt4.jpg

if you look at the pulley its not much smaller that a stock size here,so even if the alt is spinning faster than the cars engine ,I don't see it going 2.5x faster to get to 6000 rpm ,that pulley would need to be much smaller

Seems weird. Doesn't even turn on until 1000rpm and make power til like 5-6k. The alternator isn't something u want to skimp on. I said go excessive amperage or dc or mech man

RPM is at alt pulley with a third being engine rpm. So at 2,000 engine rpm, this alt is doing 256 amps. Idle of 800 rpm it's going to be doing about 190 amps. All alt pulleys are clutch pulleys - allowing rotor to slow down at own speed instead of abruptly stopping with the engine to extend lifespan and performance. From what I've heard, the typical small pulley is around 1.9" where I think these are 2.1"... A small difference, but at 6,000 rpm it makes a slight difference.

Seems weird. Doesn't even turn on until 1000rpm and make power til like 5-6k. The alternator isn't something u want to skimp on. I said go excessive amperage or dc or mech man
It will turn on at roughly 350 engine rpm OR 1,000 alt rpm. I'd never go with excessive or mech - especially mech. They have ripped off too many friends. I've heard 50/50 with excessive.

RPM is at alt pulley with a third being engine rpm. So at 2,000 engine rpm, this alt is doing 256 amps. Idle of 800 rpm it's going to be doing about 190 amps. All alt pulleys are clutch pulleys - allowing rotor to slow down at own speed instead of abruptly stopping with the engine to extend lifespan and performance. From what I've heard, the typical small pulley is around 1.9" where I think these are 2.1"... A small difference, but at 6,000 rpm it makes a slight difference.

Its just a pulley, not clutched.

ac compressors are clutch.

alts are not.

$625 for a 250 amp alt is UP there.May as well go DC or Ohio Gen for that price.They have a good rep and are well known.You'd think USAlternators would make their prices a little more reasonable to build a fan base.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/ponder.gif.ec2527b23f1d287b60dcbba54f95edba.gif

$625 for a 250 amp alt is UP there.May as well go DC or Ohio Gen for that price.They have a good rep and are well known.You'd think USAlternators would make their prices a little more reasonable to build a fan base.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/ponder.gif.ec2527b23f1d287b60dcbba54f95edba.gif
Totally understand, but I think the the price is up there because it's a true 250amps hot and because all denso parts used - could totally be wrong though.

Totally understand, but I think the the price is up there because it's a true 250amps hot and because all denso parts used - could totally be wrong though.
250 amp hot at idle or higher rpm?

Not all vehicles idle the same rate so it can bring cost up more.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.