Upgrading a Porsche 928S4 audio system

bjbpe

This site is probably frequented mostly by young people who oftentimes pass me on the street with very loud ca-thump, ca-thump, ca-thump things in their cars. For those of you who meet that description, please excuse my intrusion with what you might consider to be a rather pedestrian question(s).

I am a 69 year old aerospace engineer and my music preferences are classical and, probably obviously, ballads and folk music from the era up to the seventies. The latest music is mostly not consistent with my taste.

Back in 1987 my wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary by traveling to Stutgart, Germany and purchasing a brand new 1987 Porsche 928S4. At the time, this was the top of the line vehicle, front engine, rear wheel drive, with a 300+ horsepower V-8 engine. This was in the winter time and we drove the car down to Austria for a skiing vacatioon. Subsequently the car was shipped to the states and we have owned it ever since.

The car is in excellent condition and we continue to use it in the summers. We're in Wyoming so we leave it garaged during the winter. The car is equipped with a Blaupunkt "Reno" receiver and a separate amplifier. For those not familiar with the car, it has two speakers in each of the doors, a speaker behind each of the seats, and a speaker in the upholstered wheel well covers in the far rear. I believe these were also Blaupunkt speakers and they don't sound as good as they used to. The receiver is set up for cassettes. I have a Blaupunkt cd unit set in a tray under the glove box that is connected to the antenna cable.

Obviously this system is pretty old and I would like to upgrade it to the latest technology. As I implied above, I am not interested in blowing the sunroof off the top of the car. I just want nice clean sound that puts me in the conductor's box while the orchestra plays Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, insights, etc. that anybody out there might be able to give me. In doing the upgrade, I expect to do the work myself as I'm pretty handy veven though I am more accustomed to dealing with rocket engines than I am with chasing electrons.

Thanks for the help.

Barney

ok so off the top you are a sound quality guy , the products im gona recommend to you are the following, focal,dynaudio,DLS,rainbow,morel,jl audio,diamond audio, these are all high end companys that offer high end speakers and components.

with a great set of components youre gona need a great amplifier for the speakers, you could get a 4 channel if you do speakers front and back(focus more on the front speakes and much less on rears) so here are some other products im gona recommend for amps, alpine,xtant,mcintosh,arc audio,jbl,jlaudio,diamond audio,zapco,us amps.

and you should probably upgrade youre head unit to a nice one with 4 volt input ,3 output(higher end ones have 3 or more, even though you might not want a sub)

and by the way blaunpukt isnt exactly "high end" so you should upgrade anyways, if you want to talk real specifictly feel free to IM me my IM and email is grimm36@aol.com i would to help you one on one.

Nice. 928 Is my favorite Porsche. I have a late 85' 944 myself :^)

Hatchbacks and the 1987 928 really have a great musical effect because of the way the music bounces of the back window and so forth.

I just got rid of my Blaupunkt stock stuff.

Basicall your aiming for a Good Headunit, and good component speakers. Avoid Coaxials, and in my preference for YOUR type of music, I think 3-way components would work very well..

PM me if you have any questions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Barney, your pedestrian line of questioning is no different from that of the very people you seem to look down on.

And thus, the answer will remain consistant;

Do research. There are good products available. Those products are likely not available from Media Play. At least you've come this far. It may take a few minutes of your time to figure out the lingo, but once you've got that down, your searches will be fruitful.

You're looking for 'Components;' the medium-small, seperate sets of speakers that make detailed sounds, instead of ca-thunka-thunks.

You said you're after the latest technology;

Satellite Radio,

Hard-drive / mp3 headunit

Oh, and buy an iPod. [shameless plug]

Didn't mean to sound "down-looking" on anybody. I currently coach bantam (ages 13-14) hockey players and get plenty of the "kathunka" in the locker room. It's just not my kind of music. To each his own.

Use the search button.
Just because youre a rocket engineer doesnt mean you cant find the information like every other person.

Theres plenty of others in your position, so just look around and youll find answers. This forum is filled with information.
Sounds like a kinda nasty reply. Given the fact that I spent 38 years in Connecticut (Pratt and Whitney) I'll just consider the part of this country that this reply is coming from.

Sounds like a kinda nasty reply. Given the fact that I spent 38 years in Connecticut (Pratt and Whitney) I'll just consider the part of this country that this reply is coming from.

hey dont knock us MA guys, not everyone likes to be a search nazi.

anyways

you want pure SQ, i'd suggest finding a local shop that's good as custom fabrication

i'd suggest a setup, similiar to what i have

Eclipse CD8053 or Alpine 9855

USAmps TU-600 (class-a curcuitry is UNREAL when it comes to car audio //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif)

CDT EuroSport ES-643 3way components

you may want a small subwoofer setup. not necessarily something that'll scramble your brains, just something that'll handle all your low-frequency needs (classical music, ESPECIALLY older pipe organs are famous for tones that dip down into the sub-10hz category)

for a sub, something like the CDT EuroSport 10inch sub is supposed to be a sound-quality monster, although it definately lacks in SPL output.

if you'd like to discuss things further, feel free to email me at NOSPAMbrokenyouth@comcast.net (obviously, remove the NOSPAM part)

A nasty reply to a nasty way of talking to us.

For those of you who meet that description, please excuse my intrusion with what you might consider to be a rather pedestrian question(s).
It seems as if youre priming 'us' up for a 'holier than thou' speech.

I am a 69 year old aerospace engineer...
Completely irrelevent information, somehow i feel youre trying to make yourself seem more important so that youll get a quicker response or some crap.

Back in 1987 my wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary by traveling to Stutgart, Germany and purchasing a brand new 1987 Porsche 928S4. At the time, this was the top of the line vehicle, front engine, rear wheel drive, with a 300+ horsepower V-8 engine. This was in the winter time and we drove the car down to Austria for a skiing vacatioon. Subsequently the car was shipped to the states and we have owned it ever since.
Really? Thanks, however i dont know how knowing that the car has a V-8 or that you drove it to Austria for a skiing vacation will help us tell you what to do for a sound system. Again, the 'holier and richer than thou' attitude.

Obviously this system is pretty old and I would like to upgrade it to the latest technology. As I implied above, I am not interested in blowing the sunroof off the top of the car. I just want nice clean sound that puts me in the conductor's box while the orchestra plays Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, insights, etc. that anybody out there might be able to give me. In doing the upgrade, I expect to do the work myself as I'm pretty handy
This is all the information we need, along with the car model. Thanks.

veven though I am more accustomed to dealing with rocket engines than I am with chasing electrons.
Again with the im a rocket scientist, so you should help me because i dont want to put the effort into searching for the information myself.

If you had come in here and attempted to look for the information yourself, even glanced at the pinned threads and failed to find anything, i would have been glad to help you out. However by coming in here without looking for anything yourself, speaking down to anyone who does not own a porsche or take skiing vacations in Austria or hold a six figure job, you asked for the response i gave you. I appreciate the work you do for the country, but your attitude toward your lessers pisses me off. When you come looking for a service from me, dont come across as an *******.

To all of those who gave me some worthwhile advice, I offer my sincere thanks. ;Yes, I am a grandfather of two great kids. Yes, I did have a pretty good income, gotten through a lot of hard work. Currently, I work with a lot of good kids who are fairly close to the age of those who made replies to my rather innocent request for help.

For those of you who had nasty replies, I think your latest short answer is "Get a life." Maybe you also need to get an education and earn a living.

why dont both of you shut the **** up and get back on topic

look. we gave you someplace to start looking for some higher end stereo equipment for your car. as i offered, if you honestly want a hand with this, i'd help you...but you're making yourself look like an ******* here (damaso does it quite often....we're used to him)

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/offtopic.gif.470a8b0541c72322a0037f48a8237473.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/offtopic.gif.470a8b0541c72322a0037f48a8237473.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/offtopic.gif.470a8b0541c72322a0037f48a8237473.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/offtopic.gif.470a8b0541c72322a0037f48a8237473.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.