Upgrading hesd unit in a 2016 Ram 1500

Participant count
  • Participant list

Imperiumwolf

CarAudio.com Newbie
Kansas
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Quad cab with the base stereo system. I've wanted to upgrade things for a while. Last year I ordered a simple, single DIN Alpine from Crutchfield. It came with what I thought was everything for the install, but after tearing everything apart there was one connection coming from the truck that would not plug into anything. The harness was the Axxess LC-CHRC-01. I can't find any pictures of the plug/wire coming from the dash online, but if you look up pictures of the factory head unit, it's the gray input at the bottom right on the back of the head unit. Luckily it was Crutchfield and I was able to send everything back.

I've recently been thinking about it again. From what I'm finding, I might need to go the more expensive route and get a higher end head unit that uses an iDatalink/Maestro combination.

Does anyone know if this is the correct way? I know I could just return it again if it doesn't work, but I'd hate to have to order and return $500 plus dollars of equipment (not really a big deal, I'd just like to avoid it if possible). The only other thing would be to have a shop install one, but I'd like to do it myself if I can. It's been over 20 years since I've installed any audio equipment so it's all pretty much new to me now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240212_091738_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240212_091738_Chrome.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 14
No, the factory unit works fine. It was the aftermarket Alpine that would not power up.
This is odd. I know some manufacturers put in a disable feature when the car does not read the correct code from the radio. But it is the radio itself that locks out, not the car's power output. I think Crutchfield or Axxess would have addressed this issue if it was common.

Last edited:
This is odd. I know some manufacturers put in a disable feature when the car does not read the correct code from the radio. But it is the radio itself that locks out, not the car's power output. I think Crutchfield or Axxess would have addressed this issue if it was common.
I may have jumped the gun with returning everything instead of troubleshooting some more. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to these things, I can just do basics. Last stereo I installed was back in the late 90's in an early 90's S-10, so it was a pretty cut and dry install.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...