Upgrade from Rockford P3s

planet audio
10+ year member

I have some 12" RF P3s on a 1000w amp. They are good, but maybe I expected more? I am building a new box that was designed for me, but I'm going to put that in my other vehicle. What should I get as an upgrade? I was looking at the Rockford 12" T0s, the Sundown 12 Icons, or DC Level 3 12". Any suggestions?

I have a custom sealed box built to rockford specs. It's hella small at 1.02 cf.

So yea the icons were on my list, and I was going to pair it with a taramps smart 3.

I have some 12" RF P3s on a 1000w amp. They are good, but maybe I expected more? I am building a new box that was designed for me, but I'm going to put that in my other vehicle. What should I get as an upgrade? I was looking at the Rockford 12" T0s, the Sundown 12 Icons, or DC Level 3 12". Any suggestions?
I have a buddy with 2 Rockford fosgate p3 12s on a fosgate 1000 watt amp and I’m running 1 skar audio evil 15 and it blows his out of the water I used to run 2 skar sdr 10s and those outdid my brothers p3 10s so personally I’m not a fan of foasgate anymore I just haven’t been impressed with what they have so I wouldn’t over look skar audio

P3's need a bigger ported box to sound any good. Sealed never works on those at all. Might be worth talking to @Buck about doing a custom design for them if you want to save some money and try those first.

I have a buddy with 2 Rockford fosgate p3 12s on a fosgate 1000 watt amp and I’m running 1 skar audio evil 15 and it blows his out of the water I used to run 2 skar sdr 10s and those outdid my brothers p3 10s so personally I’m not a fan of foasgate anymore I just haven’t been impressed with what they have so I wouldn’t over look skar audio
LOL...take this guys advice, he seems to know what he's talking about

Sealed won’t yield the output you want. Also, what 1000 amp? IMO you’d be better off getting the SSA Gcons and yes build a box for them (or have it built). RF makes nice equipment but like any other build, the box is the most important part. Great subs in a shittty box are shittty. Shittty subs in a great box can actually perform.

P3-12's on 1K?
Custom sealed?.. lol
Why not step up and you listed some serious space available.
AwuzDd.jpg

Q5T2mN.jpg

P3's like anything from simple ported to a higher-order enclosure.
Sealed?.. at least do a 4th in there if you got the space to do so.
Jmo
Anything will be an improvement over sealed... most "custom" boxes are small sealed in my exp anyways.
A low tuned ported enclosure may be the ticket if something crazy seems undoable to you Op.
lrFuCx.jpg

P3's are versatile, but in small sealed they lack lows imo.

Last edited:
Well damn. Rockfords site lists them as preferring sealed enclosures, so I had a sealed box built to rockfords recommended specs at 1.02 per sub.

Why would they recommend such a small sealed enclosure?

Why would they recommend such a small sealed enclosure?
Probably the top reason would be marketing if I had to guess. To the average 1st time user space considerations have to be one of the top considerations when buying.

Put em' in a ported enclosure designed right and they'll come alive. Make better use of your power and have some great lows. On that amp you've got 4ft3net tuned mid-low 30's is what most people like.

If you'd like to try ported and are in build mode on another anyways message me. That ported I put up there above is actually a nice fit I just noticed. I can forward the plans to you to try out. Its a simple build actually and will gain a bunch, especially down low.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...