Subwoofer making weird noise on short notes

joshgelz

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jul 24, 2021
Pennsylvania
So when i first got the subs I noticed this, Overlooked it as something minor as it wasn't that bad untill a couple days ago i realized it suddenly started doing it very frequently. The noise is hard to describe, it almost sounds similair to a dog bark, it only happens on the short kicks, and in songs that utilize that alot it gets very annoying. I have no idea what could be wrong with it, because in songs like Many men (21 savage) or Put on (jeezy) where the bass is more constant, there is no issues at all.

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Well it is a WOOFER....

I'll see myself out....

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
. I have no idea what could be wrong with it,
Go along the perimeter pulling on the edges of the dust cap. I've had this happen a few times, and just as described, it was noticable on kickdrum and sharp bass notes. I use black speaker suspension glue, it works great and easy to pick at the excess once cured.

joshgelz

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jul 24, 2021
Pennsylvania
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Go along the perimeter pulling on the edges of the dust cap. I've had this happen a few times, and just as described, it was noticable on kickdrum and sharp bass notes. I use black speaker suspension glue, it works great and easy to pick at the excess once cured.
So essentially remove the dust cap then glue it back on?

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
So essentially remove the dust cap then glue it back on?
That would be the best option. Sometimes the rest of the dustcap is glued well, and pulling it may damage the cone. In that case it is best to just glue the loose portion. I would put a paper over the loose edge and stencil the dustcap. Then trace and cut out masking tape to protect the cone from excess glue.
This is only after ascertaining that there is in fact, a loose dustcap.

joshgelz

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jul 24, 2021
Pennsylvania
That would be the best option. Sometimes the rest of the dustcap is glued well, and pulling it may damage the cone. In that case it is best to just glue the loose portion. I would put a paper over the loose edge and stencil the dustcap. Then trace and cut out masking tape to protect the cone from excess glue.
This is only after ascertaining that there is in fact, a loose dustcap.
on my enclosure there's a plastic ring screwed into the edges, should i remove that to check, definitely a newbie, sorry for the questions haha

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
sorry for the questions
Glad to help where I can. The dust cap is the dome in the center of a subwoofer. Some are a dome while others are concave. Some are the size of the entire cone. Unless it has a grille, there is no need to remove the outer trim. Would you post a picture of the sub?

joshgelz

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jul 24, 2021
Pennsylvania
Glad to help where I can. The dust cap is the dome in the center of a subwoofer. Some are a dome while others are concave. Some are the size of the entire cone. Unless it has a grille, there is no need to remove the outer trim. Would you post a picture of the sub?

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
Run your fingernail or a small flat blade screwdriver along this edge. Carefully pull along the perimeter to see if there is a loose portion.

winkychevelle

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Jun 21, 2009
Ponchatoula, La
9/10 you are bottoming out.

Usually from being overpowered and on a note that the box cannot control. My 6.5s I have to be careful with since I'm throwing 2k to a pair of 200w subs

Reactions: Bobbytwonames

joshgelz

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jul 24, 2021
Pennsylvania
9/10 you are bottoming out.

Usually from being overpowered and on a note that the box cannot control. My 6.5s I have to be careful with since I'm throwing 2k to a pair of 200w subs
I only have a 1200 watt amp on 2400w subs though, and when I listened to videos of subs bottoming out it didnt really sound similair, i could be wrong though.

winkychevelle

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Jun 21, 2009
Ponchatoula, La
I only have a 1200 watt amp on 2400w subs though, and when I listened to videos of subs bottoming out it didnt really sound similair, i could be wrong though.
What subs and what amp?
And what box specs because bad box tuning can exaggerate the effect. Especially if the box is oversized or tuned to high

And there is multiple forms of bottoming out.

It is true that the dust cap might have come unglued but thats unlikely.

Jonnyswboy

CarAudio.com Regular
Jun 28, 2019
My guess is bottoming out/clipping or some weird lack of compression. Do you have a clip indicator light? Subs and enclosure specs? Electrical?

joshgelz

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jul 24, 2021
Pennsylvania
What subs and what amp?
And what box specs because bad box tuning can exaggerate the effect. Especially if the box is oversized or tuned to high

And there is multiple forms of bottoming out.

It is true that the dust cap might have come unglued but thats unlikely.
it was the "DUAL 12" 2,400 WATT SDR SERIES COMPLETE SUBWOOFER PACKAGE WITH VENTED ENCLOSURE AND AMPLIFIER" package from skar, With 2 12' SDR-2X12D4 subwoofers, the Skar Audio RP-1200.1D Monoblock amp and the Skar wiring kit.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Orlando Area, FL
So when i first got the subs I noticed this, Overlooked it as something minor as it wasn't that bad untill a couple days ago i realized it suddenly started doing it very frequently. The noise is hard to describe, it almost sounds similair to a dog bark, it only happens on the short kicks, and in songs that utilize that alot it gets very annoying. I have no idea what could be wrong with it, because in songs like Many men (21 savage) or Put on (jeezy) where the bass is more constant, there is no issues at all.
Post up a video, if you can.

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
5,000+ posts
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
it was the "DUAL 12" 2,400 WATT SDR SERIES COMPLETE SUBWOOFER PACKAGE WITH VENTED ENCLOSURE AND AMPLIFIER" package from skar, With 2 12' SDR-2X12D4 subwoofers, the Skar Audio RP-1200.1D Monoblock amp and the Skar wiring kit.
You are looking at max power ratings on those subs. They are only 600 watt rms subs. Never look at max power ratings on subs, speakers or amps. It sounds like you are bottoming out. Turn the gain down a hair and see if it still does it.

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Kentucky
I have also had subs do this. On quick, loud bass notes the Voice coil would bottom out and sound like a fart/bark. Too much instant power and not enough suspension travel to keep the hard VC former from hitting the backplate.

Solution = Set the gain so that there is no over-excursion.

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
5,000+ posts
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
My subs will actually only bottom out if my passenger door is open. For some reason just opening the passenger door during a demo will cause them to unload and bottom out. Are you driving when it happens? Try playing your system parked with both doors closed and see if it happens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds