Unique (apparently) Car Audio Problem

ThyBennyyy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey all,

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have taken my car into "Tonkin In-car Solutions" about getting my car audio fixed but they have said to me that they don't know what problem it could be as they have never heard of this before?! And now want me to pay $100 an hour for them to go over the car just to find what may or may not be the problem. So, here is my situation:

Firstly my car: Ford FG XR6 Ute Limited Edition 2011 with stock audio, atleast i believe it is. I bought it second hand in 2014 and had no audio troubles until this year, 2022.

Problem: Car RADIO has stopped working completely. This is all i ever use/listen to. The speakers started crackling one day and then periodically over about a month i lost them all, 1 at a time until no sound at all.

After going to Tonkin, they thought it was a "module" in the system because of no sound at all and wanted me to pay $1000 to fix it and i was okay with this, lock it in, done but it wasn't so simple.

But they did a few little tests while i was there... switched over to aux and cd and ofcourse now theres some sound! Front right and rear left actually play music with crazy loud hiss or fuzz. The other two speakers have no sound at all. Turning down the treble in the car settings reduced the hiss significantly but not completely. This is when Tonkin basically said... we have no idea, called someone who is good with this stuff and he said he had no idea too!

Questions: Does anyone have any idea what this could be so i can get someone to repair it? Does anyone know a good place in Adelaide, SA to take it to be done?

For the 1000$ you were quoted to unfuck the factory system you could probably just select a nice aftermarket head unit, some nice components up front and bypass ALL factory amp/wiring. Factory audio components are insanely overpriced and for all you know there's a stock wire failing/shorting somewhere which would potentially take many man hours to diagnose.

Sounds like the radio failed or the amp.

I'd replace the radio with an aftermarket option and maybe the front door speakers

Thanks for the response!

I thought it may be the amp too, but when the car audio guy looked, he said my car did not have an amp from what he could see? Or its built into the main unit. Do you know where it might be located in an fg xr6 ute so i can look? I thought it would be under the seat.

Im not sure i can change for an aftermarket unit also? The guy was talking about the whole ICC needing to be changed if i dont do the module or screen.

First test would be to remove the Front Driver door speaker. Set the Fader to the Front and Balance to the Left. Test with any other speaker. Factory speakers tend to mess up and usually within months of each other. Bad speakers will make the sounds you described.
This was my thought train, that the speakers had all sort of gone out together. But its the bit where the radio won’t play at all, but a cd or aux will but with fuzz.

Appreciate the help 👌

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...