Understanding Active

Its expensive going active. Are you competing? If so, you need it...if not its not necessary
Not looking to compete....jus wanting a loud system, its for a 97 Expedition. I'l use it as a daily driver an we watch a lot of movie's, plus do sum park an play for our little league football team. I'm thinking to go back 2 my original idea of jus 2 component sets as opposed to PA speakers IDK. If I cud run PA's wit a gud HU an amp tht wud be great. The PA speakers are relatively inexpensive so I cud easily replace a set for about $100 if I were to blow them

There's just too much to explain.

Lol.

Do some research and reading through forums, this question has been asked and explained to death.

I posted in your other thread.

I'd say, bump all these little components these guys are using (line drivers, external crossover, external eqs, etc). Find yourself a decent double din that's affordable (New or used), and get an external dsp. Fosgate has the 360.3 fur 350$-400$, Precision Power has one for 200$.

You'll never need to change your setup, you can run any head unit and amp your want, and you'll have unlimited control of your system. Plus you can blow your friends out the water because you'll be tuning your system with a laptop while there dinkin' around with eqs and knobs sui random.

With a dsp you can then move on to RTA to truly get the best potential from your system.

Let me slow dow.

Again, do some reading. It can take a while to gather all the knowledge and understanding. Research and reading through the forum is the quickest way to do that

There's just too much to explain.Lol.

Do some research and reading through forums, this question has been asked and explained to death.

I posted in your other thread.

I'd say, bump all these little components these guys are using (line drivers, external crossover, external eqs, etc). Find yourself a decent double din that's affordable (New or used), and get an external dsp. Fosgate has the 360.3 fur 350$-400$, Precision Power has one for 200$.

You'll never need to change your setup, you can run any head unit and amp your want, and you'll have unlimited control of your system. Plus you can blow your friends out the water because you'll be tuning your system with a laptop while there dinkin' around with eqs and knobs sui random.

With a dsp you can then move on to RTA to truly get the best potential from your system.

Let me slow dow.

Again, do some reading. It can take a while to gather all the knowledge and understanding. Research and reading through the forum is the quickest way to do that
I'm putting myself thru skool with all the research Iv been doing these past two months Hahaha....I'm loving wat I'm learning. An it seems I'm going to need a DSP....well got'a budget for tht. On to more research an reading. Thnx Evry1

Do you kno if PA tweets are sharp? I'd lik a soft dome tweeter if possible. If there are super tweets tht are not so sharp il look into those.
They can be bright if overpowered. Set gain accordingly, cut back EQ at 12.5Khz and they'll sound quite good...

A soft dome tweeter won't really keep up with a PA mid unless you run multiple tweeters.

I'm running six 8" PA mids on ~1000 watts and my four 1" soft domes are keeping up with them very nicely on 150 watts.
Four tweets will keep up with lots of things out there lol

OP, what's this about $1500 for head unit and DSP? That's a hefty figure, what are you trying to run again?

Four tweets will keep up with lots of things out there lol
OP, what's this about $1500 for head unit and DSP? That's a hefty figure, what are you trying to run again?
That figure comes from a Pioneer NEX ~$1000 and a DSP ~$500....I was hoping I cud run active wit jus an HU an Amp set properly, guess not. After more reading I thnk I cud get away wit a $350 HU (Pio X4600BT), a BitTen for ~$350, and Q4-120 for $250.

They can be bright if overpowered. Set gain accordingly, cut back EQ at 12.5Khz and they'll sound quite good...
A soft dome tweeter won't really keep up with a PA mid unless you run multiple tweeters.
I'm running six 8" PA mids on ~1000 watts and my four 1" soft domes are keeping up with them very nicely on 150 watts.
As I say'd ths set up is for a Expedition, 3rows, large cabin, loud kids (til I drop the Boom). I was thinking 4mids an 4 soft dome tweets. Thy complain about the coax Kappa's I have in my Camry, I don't blame them.

Wud I need 2amps or 2 DSP's for these 8speakers?

As I say'd ths set up is for a Expedition, 3rows, large cabin, loud kids (til I drop the Boom). I was thinking 4mids an 4 soft dome tweets. Thy complain about the coax Kappa's I have in my Camry, I don't blame them. Wud I need 2amps or 2 DSP's for these 8speakers?
You'll need 8 amplifier channels, as well as 8 output channels on the dsp.

You could share channels if anything. But sharing channels defeats the purpose.

Let me ask, what are your overall goals? Loud and clear as possible?

You'll need 8 amplifier channels, as well as 8 output channels on the dsp.You could share channels if anything. But sharing channels defeats the purpose.

Let me ask, what are your overall goals? Loud and clear as possible?
Loud an Clear as possible....not competition loud but yea. I cudnt jus do 2speakers per chan, tweets 1-2, mids 3-4?

Loud an Clear as possible....not competition loud but yea. I cudnt jus do 2speakers per chan, tweets 1-2, mids 3-4?
You could. But that means that whatever adjustment you make in that channel will affect both speakers.

And to be honest, 4 mids and 4 tweeters? You don't think 2 mids/tweets can get plenty loud?

I've never heard a PA setup with multiple mids and tweets that sounded good. I have however heard a PA 3 way that sounded good.

You could. But that means that whatever adjustment you make in that channel will affect both speakers. And to be honest, 4 mids and 4 tweeters? You don't think 2 mids/tweets can get plenty loud?

I've never heard a PA setup with multiple mids and tweets that sounded good. I have however heard a PA 3 way that sounded good.
I figured tht....there wud be no front to back action, jus side to side rite? Wats ur take on 4 PAmids an 2 S'tweets vs 2 PAmids an 2 S'tweets w/ coax rears?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.