Understanding Active

MakkMar10

Bangin on a Budget
SoCal
Well....I don't understand. From wat I gather, I would connect tweets to front chan mids to back chan and adjust CO point with amp filters. Is it this easy? I don't have the equipment yet, I want a real understanding before I go spending. HU will be Pioneer AVH-X4600BT, is this active capable and wat does tht mean? Do I need a crossover board?

Yes and u still may want bass blockers for ur tweets too, set the tweets to high pass and mids to full on ur amp and the set ur crossovers

I think active compatible meaning the u will have RCA preouts for high mid and sub, which would be 3 way mode, and u should be able to set time alignment with head unit also,

Yes and u still may want bass blockers for ur tweets too, set the tweets to high pass and mids to full on ur amp and the set ur crossovers
I think active compatible meaning the u will have RCA preouts for high mid and sub, which would be 3 way mode, and u should be able to set time alignment with head unit also,
Yes, I will need a crossover board or Yes, direct to amp w/ bass blockers?

No need for co just inline the bassblocker to tweeters only. If ur tweeters do not have wires soldered to it then u can just put the bass block in the + and then connect ur speaker wire to the other end of bass blocker, I am sure u can just get a capacitor and I'll send u a link when I get home about what size u need, what is the Hz u r wanting to cut off on the tweets?

No need for co just inline the bassblocker to tweeters only. If ur tweeters do not have wires soldered to it then u can just put the bass block in the + and then connect ur speaker wire to the other end of bass blocker, I am sure u can just get a capacitor and I'll send u a link when I get home about what size u need, what is the Hz u r wanting to cut off on the tweets?
No equipment yet, I'm researching active vs passive so I cud decide on compo's or PA's. I like the fact I can play with the CO point running active. So il go tht direction, plus bass blockers are 10x cheaper than passive CO's. Thanx for the info....

I see wat u mean by my cut off Hz....I have kno Idea how to choose. Wud I need equipment 1st?

Yes meaning what u want ur tweeters cut off, let's say u get tweets that are 2khz-22khz u will want to cut off at 2khz or more, usually around 2 or 6khz just based on preference

You do not use inline crossovers in an active setup. All that entails "going active" is that the signal is crossed over prior to amplification. Using an inline passive crossover or bass-blocker on the tweeter channels of an active setup can cause a phase shift and cancellation due to the slope bringing them out of phase with the mids.

Be careful with your tweeter crossover point and have fun. I'll probably never run a passive crossover ever again.

You do not use inline crossovers in an active setup. All that entails "going active" is that the signal is crossed over prior to amplification. Using an inline passive crossover or bass-blocker on the tweeter channels of an active setup can cause a phase shift and cancellation due to the slope bringing them out of phase with the mids.
Be careful with your tweeter crossover point and have fun. I'll probably never run a passive crossover ever again.
When do u use bass blockers then? I thought it was to protect the tweets even active

Yo js nd to gt a extn co n st te co pt ys. Im guessing the op can decipher this lol
I'l try....you just need to get external crossover an set the crossover point you set....am I close Hahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
So tweets in chan 1-2 set on HP, mids in chan 3-4 set on Full, an use filters on amp to set CO point?

yes, i guess according to dude above, u don't need a bass blockers if u go active, i was mistaken, thanx for the info

So tweets in chan 1-2 set on HP, mids in chan 3-4 set on Full, an use filters on amp to set CO point?
You will need an amp that can crossover in the usual 2.5-5khz range if you want to use the onboard xovers. Amplifiers that have these xovers are commonly referred to as "active capable". You'll want to use the lpf (or bandpass, if available), xovers on the mids and hpf on the tweeters.

You will need an amp that can crossover in the usual 2.5-5khz range if you want to use the onboard xovers. Amplifiers that have these xovers are commonly referred to as "active capable". You'll want to use the lpf (or bandpass, if available), xovers on the mids and hpf on the tweeters.
I'm liking SQ's Q4-120....u think I cud run 4tweets 4mids on ths 1amp? The PWX are rated at 150wrms an with 4 of them IDK, my ears may be to big for my pocket. I cud try 1 set an 1 amp at a time...

See if you have a Audison Bit One DSP you wouldn't have to bother with all that. You'll just use the stereo output of your HU or even a optical if it has one, then plug into the DSP. In the software part to access all that is allowed you assign the 8 channels to their perspective frequencies, like channel 1-2 to highpass, 3-4 to bandpass, 5-6 to lowpass then 7 (for mono) or 7-8 (stereo) subwoofer. You wouldn't need XO at all because it's all provided to you from the hardware of the Bit One. You can have 30+ graphic EQ's in all individual channel for adjustment, delay, TA and two XO formats (Butterworth or ???). That will be the way to go than hooking up passive XO's everywhere or not, tons of options is the point for all this.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.