Underhung TC Nomz

probably not. i think it was just a natural reaction to a decent post around here.
Don't get many of those these days? It's been a while since I've been over here.

So damn hard to pick a sub stage for this ride, especially with a sub design I'm not really familiar with. Don't really want to have my budget engulfed by a Morel Ultimo or LMS Ultra, either, so I'm trying to keep the total under 700 for whatever sub I end up with.

Any personal favorites?

I was told by RE that the RE MX is underhung. It's an impressive sub IMO as is the XXX. 05 and earlier XXX definitely was.

Also I would suggest the p99rs head unit in place of any outboard processing. It's a very impressive HU with 4 output channels (with separate crossovers) TA, and 30 bands of EQ... A little spendy, but would be an all-in-one solution.

I was told by RE that the RE MX is underhung. It's an impressive sub IMO as is the XXX. 05 and earlier XXX definitely was.
Also I would suggest the p99rs head unit in place of any outboard processing. It's a very impressive HU with 4 output channels (with separate crossovers) TA, and 30 bands of EQ... A little spendy, but would be an all-in-one solution.
I considered the P99, but not sure if I wanted an all-in-one unit or something like the Zapco Z8 where I could tune via laptop and keep closer to the amps so I have less chance of noise injection through the RCAs. Also, this will be a vehicle that could end up being parked on base while I'm deployed, so having the cage for a $1200 HU probably isn't the smartest thing I should be doing. I do love a lot of what I read about the P99, though.

I've heard the same about the 05 and earlier XXX, but next to nothing about the MX. Did that come in this year's production run? Heard something about them moving production back stateside so I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the old awesomeness return.

Bro, just hold out until next year when you're ready to buy. Murphy's got some stuff up his sleeve //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suave.gif.858fc102f7646e678ee8af7e1fbc41d1.gif

05 and older is the only underhung i like that was mass produced. someday i wanna make a beefy underhung i got some designs for //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I considered the P99, but not sure if I wanted an all-in-one unit or something like the Zapco Z8 where I could tune via laptop and keep closer to the amps so I have less chance of noise injection through the RCAs. Also, this will be a vehicle that could end up being parked on base while I'm deployed, so having the cage for a $1200 HU probably isn't the smartest thing I should be doing. I do love a lot of what I read about the P99, though.
I've heard the same about the 05 and earlier XXX, but next to nothing about the MX. Did that come in this year's production run? Heard something about them moving production back stateside so I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the old awesomeness return.
I listened to a couple setups with p99 a couple weeks ago that were dialed in right and I can assure you it's all the processing you'd need. I saw an RE dealer this year that has had a few different RE subs in his van and he told me they still sell MX. I thought it was quite nice. Not hugely efficient but underhung, 4" coil, and big excursion

The RE XXX was an XBL^2 driver! That's a step up in performance if you ask me. It's like the best of two worlds between an underhung driver and an LMS driver. You get the low moving mass with the short coil, and you get the long linear BL product from the tandem magnetic gaps.

Neo, I would not hesitate to go with virtually any underhung driver. They just sound incredible, and they get plenty loud. They start getting much louder when you go with the type of platform in the OP, simply because it's a lower Q driver that is more suitable for vented enclosures. I wish I had some numbers to back that up but I still don't have modeling capabilities at the moment.

05 and older is the only underhung i like that was mass produced. someday i wanna make a beefy underhung i got some designs for //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Well dang, what's the holdup??? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Neo, you could also just build your own. Get a nice motor, snag a Ti basket, and have someone build a drop-in.

XBL^2 drivers, while technically underhung, behave more like overhung, really they are like a strange hybrid mutant of both, having most of the strengths of both without most the weaknesses. Normally underhung, when the coil begins to leave the gap, it has less motor force as part of it is out of the gap and into the fringe field and BL drops FAST. XBL^2 lowers the motor force at the resting point of the driver, where it would normally be highest, this make the BL start low, go higher as moves away from center, but stil in the gap, then drop again, once it begins to really leave the gap then it drops for the final time, hard and sharply as you'd expect of an underung.. This slight back and forth keeps it within a linear range longer than a traditional design.

LMS drivers are overhung, but suffer the same drawbacks as most overhung drivers, which makes them very expensive to do well. (takes ALOT of copper to fix the inductance linearity of a coil that thick.)

XBL^2 drivers, while technically underhung, behave more like overhung, really they are like a strange hybrid mutant of both, having most of the strengths of both without most the weaknesses. Normally underhung, when the coil begins to leave the gap, it has less motor force as part of it is out of the gap and into the fringe field and BL drops FAST. XBL^2 lowers the motor force at the resting point of the driver, where it would normally be highest, this make the BL start low, go higher as moves away from center, but stil in the gap, then drop again, once it begins to really leave the gap then it drops for the final time, hard and sharply as you'd expect of an underung.. This slight back and forth keeps it within a linear range longer than a traditional design.
LMS drivers are overhung, but suffer the same drawbacks as most overhung drivers, which makes them very expensive to do well. (takes ALOT of copper to fix the inductance linearity of a coil that thick.)
Nice job.

Appreciate the quick and useful info, guys.
@hispls ; there only one thing (aside from price) keeping me from considering the P99 at this point and that's its lack of compatibility for Android phones. Would be a shame to get such a nice HU and feed it a BT signal. But I'm sure they're magical decks ( though only slightly more intuitive than a Fujitsu Ten). Maybe some day, but for now, I'd rather put something in that I won't miss so dearly if it gets stolen.
@T3mpest ; that's probably of the best explanations of XBL^2 I've seen yet.

And @ciaonzo ; I know you have a giant TC stash. Lmk if there's any you'd feel like parting with in about a year.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ciaonzo

5,000+ posts
TheContinental
ciaonzo
WI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date