Bad Tinsel Lead or Coil?

Umbra

Hobbyist & CA Tenderfoot
Greetings.

Earlier today I traded a few gift cards I didn't have much use for for a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch HE2s (12"). I've learned a bit from these forums and brought a multimeter. Each sub is a DVC sub. All the coils measured an acceptable impedance, save one. One coil yields no rating at all from lead to lead - there's no continuity. I tried testing on the (what I believe to be called) tinsel leads as close to the cone as possible in case maybe there was a problem with the wires outside the cone, but no dice.

I posted here a couple weeks ago with some ailing subs that measured unacceptably for their impedance values and those you could hear rubbing when you pressed on them, with this sub that's no the case.

I ended up taking the pair anyway thinking it'd be an easy fix, but I'm no longer sure that's the case. Before I consider cutting this thing open, can anyone offer any advice?

Greetings.
Earlier today I traded a few gift cards I didn't have much use for for a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch HE2s (12"). I've learned a bit from these forums and brought a multimeter. Each sub is a DVC sub. All the coils measured an acceptable impedance, save one. One coil yields no rating at all from lead to lead - there's no continuity. I tried testing on the (what I believe to be called) tinsel leads as close to the cone as possible in case maybe there was a problem with the wires outside the cone, but no dice.

I posted here a couple weeks ago with some ailing subs that measured unacceptably for their impedance values and those you could hear rubbing when you pressed on them, with this sub that's no the case.

I ended up taking the pair anyway thinking it'd be an easy fix, but I'm no longer sure that's the case. Before I consider cutting this thing open, can anyone offer any advice?
Not much fixing an open coil typically. If there's not an obvious broken tinsel the coil is likely toast. You might try to pull off the dustcap and see if there's a break where the coil lead meets the tinsel, but on most subs it's buried under more glue than you'll be able to scrape off to repair.

Thanks, Garychoffmann, I'll keep that in mind.

Not much fixing an open coil typically. If there's not an obvious broken tinsel the coil is likely toast. You might try to pull off the dustcap and see if there's a break where the coil lead meets the tinsel, but on most subs it's buried under more glue than you'll be able to scrape off to repair.
It's not the type of sub/basket that can be unbolted, so I guess I have to slice between the top/dust cap? (Not positive about the terminology) and find out if it's severed. If I'm careful, can I remove the dust cap and replace it keeping the sub's functionality in tact?

Is the dust cap the surround? There's another post on the front page that goes into the type of glue/epoxy you can use.

Thanks, Garychoffmann, I'll keep that in mind.

It's not the type of sub/basket that can be unbolted, so I guess I have to slice between the top/dust cap? (Not positive about the terminology) and find out if it's severed. If I'm careful, can I remove the dust cap and replace it keeping the sub's functionality in tact?

Is the dust cap the surround? There's another post on the front page that goes into the type of glue/epoxy you can use.
The dust cap is the dome part in the middle of the cone. He's saying take that off and look down it to see if you can see a lead Is broken or torn, the cap can just be CA glued back on

Where does the dustcap end and the cone begin?

Here's a picture I just took:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/14e9e541dbf2e482ca18ffc2936352ad/tumblr_mvb0pjwiFy1r153evo1_400.jpg

Should I cut at the bottom of the dome, a little farther out where the dome material ends, or maybe somewhere in between?

I've also got some cyanoacrylate solvent.

UPDATE: I cut inward at an angle all the way around in the middle of that area between where the dome ends and cone begins. I pried it up unearthing the innards. The wire has cracked off of the leads on the inside of the cone. I hooked up the DMM to the wires and the coil's good! Presently I'm degunking the exposed wire and surrounding area with the solvent. I'll resolder the wires and I should be back in business. I just need a way to readhere the dustcap to the sub. Would a flexible super glue work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.