Under powered Amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

randomguy0o1

My amp (900w RMS) is being powered by a 750w computer power supply. When I turn it up, it acts just like I have it hooked up to a battery. Nothing shuts off, it doesn't sound quite, and there isn't any distortion. Is it bad on the amp to turn it up to the correct voltage (square root of rms*ohms)?

Specs:

AMP- Hifonics Brutus 1516.1D @ 2 ohms (900w rms/1500w max)

SUB- Sundown Audio SA-15 D4

BOX- 4.1 ft^3 @ 32hz

Need to know the amperage capabilities of the power supply, that will be the limiting factor assuming you're passing somewhere around 12v. Otherwise you risk starving the power supply in the amplifier.

Just look for the power LED on the amplifier to blink or dim during musical peaks. That's a sure sign that you've hit a limit of what the power supply can do to feed the amplifier's needs.

Thank you. The light dims very very very discreetly. I really had to focus on the light in order to notice that it was losing a little bit of light at the low notes. The power supply has 4 rails and each have 18 amps, all running on 12v of course.

check voltage with a meter, thats the only way. it depends on the power supply as well most are underrated and overbuilt if they're high quality

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.