two dd 9500 15's or one dd redline 800 18"?

Would this be the correct one?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200908-112912_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200908-112912_Samsung Internet.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 195
You're obviously still learning, like most of us, so pick something proven as far as subs go. Upgrade your alternator output FIRST if you can, i understand some cars are terrible for that - either way get the biggest alt you can. From there you NEED battery reserve unless you're like me or others with LS block engines where a dual alt upgrade is very cheap. I get by with a 15k amp (around 10kw clamped) with 2 alts, and 2 banks of caps because of my alt output.

DD is a good brand but god they are expensive unless you get dealer cost. Something as simple as a Fi SP4 18 with the proper built box and a md 8k and some reserve batteries will get you what you need... provided you spend time on the box and orientation of the power/drivers to get it loaded properly. You have a decent amp as is, power it properly, get a good sub, not some relatively unknown brand, and build the right box. We're what, 9 pages in? Keep. It. Simple. Stupid.

Yes, but you need banks of 6 to do any good and adequate alternators to keep them charged. Capacitors are not going to help you support 1,600A of current draw.
Maybe I missed it, but is OP talking about doubling up amps before getting the right driver and enclosure? An 18 has a ton of output as you know, something must be wrong here

To keep rambling here, I'm at a 154.1 on the meter (probably could squeeze more but I don't care) and I'm more than content with it and I think you would be too. Two Fi Team 15's with a taramps hd15k at .5 in 7-8 cubes tuned to 37, 10 inch bigassport (aero port). Also used a Bass 12k was essentially the same but it **** the bed. I spent the time figuring out what this type of vehicle wanted and upgraded the electrical first.

Either your build is fucked up or your vehicle is difficult. I'm leaning towards the former based on what your boxes look like.

Maybe I missed it, but is OP talking about doubling up amps before getting the right driver and enclosure? An 18 has a ton of output as you know, something must be wrong here
Yes. Cliff notes:
OP owned two DD9515s
OP owns Taramps 8K which is running off of inadequate electrical
OP has built several boxes and instead of trying to experiment with them or tweak them he throws them away and starts over when it doesn't come out the gate as loud as he thinks it should
Now one of OP's subs has shifted the pole piece so instead of repairing the DD he is looking to buy new subs (and another Taramps 8K).

My suggestions in this order were:
1. Repair the broken 9515
2. Pay a professional to build a box (not OP's first rodeo with box fails)
3. Get electrical very solid
4. Add more power as needed.

But what do I know about getting loud?

Ramble away lol, I soak up all the info you guys tell me. And yes my boxes did look like complete ****...only because I'm limited on my wood working tools because they're in a storage unit at the moment and I cant dig that **** out.....so im stuck with a damn circular saw and thats it, so I was trying to get by with what I had lol.

Update.....so i hit $10k on a lottery ticket.....so im getting rid of this piece of **** scion tc and upgrading, so that opens up another door for me.

And those subs I thought were good until after I did some searching and realized they're not.....they popped up when I was searching for b2 audio subs.

Also the $10k is why I don't care about the dd 9500.....I talked to DD and Jack said he could upgrade the parts for a lower cost, but then id have one with an I motor and the other with whatever motor they upgrade it to.....so im like eh id rather put this money towards some better subs since I actually can.

Currently I have a 250 amp ho alternator.
So im gathering that adequate means a minimum of two alternators?

What would be the outcome if I were to run two 8k's on my current electrical?

See i was thinking about going with a single 18, like a team sub, and hopefully be able to feed it roughly 5k.....I understand it's all about testing but do you think it would be possible?

I was also curious.....is it easier to get louder with multiple subs on low watts because of cone area or easier to get louder with more watts with a better sub......example......my two 9500's on 5k or a team 18 sub on 5k.....because the team sub has a bigger motor

Last edited:
Opinions?

Nevermind scratch that......I was looking at the fi btl 4 12"......two of those..I lied.....im really liking the fi sp4v2 12"......i think im dead set on those.....sound like a good choice? And depending on which car I get I can buy another alternator also

I think im going to sell the 9500's as is.....se what I can get out of them, cause I'm waiting on the other recone to get here in the mail for the one that's shifted.

I'm leaning towards 12's because I may get a 4 door car, and i don't want to have any complications like i am with the 15's....i would like to keep this car looking nice as far as the interior...and keep my back seats this time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200910-112437_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200910-112437_eBay.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
so i hit $10k on a lottery ticket.
Nice! Do yourself a favor and quit while you're ahead. I watched a guy who hit a million on one and gave it all back to the lottery (and the Injuns) within a year.
Currently I have a 250 amp ho alternator.
And just ONE of those Taramps 8k will want to draw as much as 800A Where's the other 650A coming from? If you use two, where's the other 1350A coming from?
What would be the outcome if I were to run two 8k's on my current electrical?
They won't make near rated power and they may sag voltage so bad they'll power off, power other accessories off, or blow themselves up.

Fi products are good across the board. BTL may be about comparable to 95xx with the new larger coils. SP4 are solid and take a ton of power, but they take a ton of power to get loud.

You can get loud with power and/or cone area and each is its own set of challenges. Power is cheap these days as far as amps but battery can get spendy. Lots of woofers obviously is cost of subs, weight, and bigger (heavier) box.

IF you're buying a new vehicle do yourself a favor and get a big SUV like Tahoe, Expedition, Suburban type thing. Plenty of room, can usually support multiple alternators (or at least a big upgrade stock one) and they're pretty friendly to get loud. Minivans can get very loud as well. I have it on good authority that Dodge Caravan windshields can hold up to about 170dB which is pretty impressive, they're also a dime a dozen used.

Buy a car, figure out how much room you have to work with, then plan subs around that airspace.

I think im pretty set on the sp4 or sp4v2.....they look very promising.....I've always heard nothing but good things about fi.

So the btls are comparable to the 9500....so the sp4 would be a noticeable upgrade from the btl4?

I take it these subs will have better low end also? Compared to the 9500's......they just seemed like they couldn't really fill the lows out....they felt hollowed out I guess.

See i was aiming for a truck, because I need the bed to haul **** lol, but because the cabin is smaller so I won't have to sink gobs of extra money to get just as loud in an suv. And burbs and Tahoes take like $100 to fill up......Fuckk that! Lol

I'm used to $25 filling my tank lmao.
But also so I can do a blow through.
I'm sure you guys are like dear God no!

So the btls are comparable to the 9500....so the sp4 would be a noticeable upgrade from the btl4?
The only thing "upgraded" about SP4 is you can throw more power at it. It willnot be as efficient as the BTL or 95XX

I take it these subs will have better low end also?
This really depends on your box. Your drivers have never been the limiting factor here.
See i was aiming for a truck,
I'm used to $25 filling my tank

Chose one. Mind you, gas is still super cheap (for now). I can fill up my F250 for under 50$. Also pickup trucks are notoriously NOT easy to get loud if you're trying to meter sealed at the dash.

What could possibly go wrong?

I think im pretty set on the sp4 or sp4v2.....they look very promising.....I've always heard nothing but good things about fi.

I take it these subs will have better low end also? Compared to the 9500's......they just seemed like they couldn't really fill the lows out....they felt hollowed out I guess.

See i was aiming for a truck, because I need the bed to haul **** lol, but because the cabin is smaller so I won't have to sink gobs of extra money to get just as loud in an suv. And burbs and Tahoes take like $100 to fill up......Fuckk that! Lol

I'm used to $25 filling my tank lmao.
I'm sure you guys are like dear God no!
Unfortunately Fi has currently halted production on the sp series until further notice as I was getting ready to pull the trigger on 2 sp4 plus 15s.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.