Twin Sundown SA6.5 SW D2 32Hz Ported 0.6ft3 in Ford Escape Box Build

I've never used a plunge router but my dad made me a circle jig years ago from a piece of scrap sheet metal. It works great, i start the hole with a drill then screw down the jig and let it rip. The Diablo router bits at Home Depot are rebranded Freud bits, very nice quality.

I messed up, but I think its going to be for the best. I spent a few hours on the table saw last night trying to cut exact angles for this funky piece of the port that will extend down the wall. I cut it too skinny so I had to add a spacer, but that worked out great. The part I messed up on is I glued the L port together on the wrong side so my port opening will face the door and not the center console. Not sure how this will affect my SQ, but theres plenty of space by the door for air to flow and the boys wont be tempted to stick things in there. One of them will see it every time he gets in the car, so maybe I can cover it with some sound transparent cloth or something? It wasnt a big enouvh deal to take it all apart so I went ahead and glued and nailed the port in the box. The box is almost done, but Im out of fancy birch wood so I need to pick some up for the baffle. I cant do 3/4” because my design was to have 1 piece of 1/2” to overlap 1 side of the walls and the other would overlap both to get a tighter seal. I could trim down 1 side, but the double baffle will be thicker and stronger for just a little extra work. Ive also decided not to fiberglass the inside, the port board straddles the weakest joint on both sides of the joint and fits really tight. I used a good amount of glue for assemble and nailed a few extra spots then turned it upside down to dry with a block under to keep the weight on the joint and so the glue drips down out off of the port walls. Hopefully this makes sense, Ill post a video soon so you can see the port.

Part 4

Installed the port backwards and cut a lot of 45s with fancy angles at the ends. Routed the port opening, but I might go with a more rounded edge. Im hoping the port being on the other side turns out better than being next to the console. If theres any port noise it should be less noticeable being further away from my ear.

Subs are installed and they bump, Im giving them about 450wrms@2ohms, but they could probably handle the whole 500wrms@2ohms. I didnt want to turn my gain all the way up even though its a 500w amp. Got the rearview mirror vibratin’, all I need now are some deep dish daytons. Ill try and get a video up soon with some excursion shots and the annoying paper next to the port shot. Id like to do a sweep video to try and find out what the final port tune came in at. I built it shooting for 34Hz, but the port is wide (7/8”x12” to 7/8”x9”) and then narrows (1”x8”) at the internal entrance so its just guess work. From my understanding I just sweep until the subs stop moving and the port air velocity maximizes? My frequency generator only goes in increments of 10Hz so I need to find a better app. I dont notice any port noise on any of the tracks Ive played thus far, but it does blow pretty hard from time to time.

All in all Im really happy with this box, how it sounds, and how it fits in the car. Im sure it could be better if it were built by a seasoned professional, but its plenty for me. I have the bass right where I want it to be and the remote bass knob on the amp is at 2/3 full, and bass boost on the HU is +2 out of 6. So in case I need to really impress someone I can still crank it up. Thanks to everyone for all the help, I appreciate it, Ill get a video up soon.

Cute little subs for sure. Did you ever mention why you didn't want an enclosure in the very back? I would think it would make things easier for ya.

Cute little subs for sure. Did you ever mention why you didn't want an enclosure in the very back? I would think it would make things easier for ya.
I carry too many things in the back and I dont want everyone to know I have a system. Ive done a lot of work to make sure my car looks factory. I tried using the factory box with a 6.75” kicker sub in it and it just wouldnt cut it. This box is pretty stealthy and once its carpeted will blend in pretty well. They are down firing and you cant see the port from any window in the car, they bump pretty hard and match perfectly with my amp. Ill do a video tonight hopefully and post it so you guys can see how it all fits.

I carry too many things in the back and I dont want everyone to know I have a system. Ive done a lot of work to make sure my car looks factory. I tried using the factory box with a 6.75” kicker sub in it and it just wouldnt cut it. This box is pretty stealthy and once its carpeted will blend in pretty well. They are down firing and you cant see the port from any window in the car, they bump pretty hard and match perfectly with my amp. Ill do a video tonight hopefully and post it so you guys can see how it all fits.
I see. We just got a hell of a deal on a new vehicle....well used smallish SUV I guess, 2006 Hundai Santa Fe and has a few hidden areas if I wanted to put in some audio. It can be made stealthy, keeping the factory look to it. Wonder if yours is the same way?

There are some little hideaways in the rear where the factory subwoofer would be behind the interior beauty panel. Something could be tucked in there between the plastic beauty panel, hatch structure and outer quarter panel skin. Youd need better fiberglassing skills than I possess and would need to cut away some unibody structure to get the volume. You would also have a sub showing or at least a speaker grill with fabric over it at the end of the day. My year escape has an option for a 6” sub that the kicker fits in, the box is too shallow for a single sundown. Later years have a factory 8” sub and box, but the panels dont match my interior color and the rear seats in those years have a latch that comes through that panel. So Id have a darker gray and a hole and any 8” sub that would handle 500w wouldnt be shallow enough. Ive been thinking of how to do this for a really long time, searching wrecking yards and researching, and all that. This is seriously the best was to get something worthwhile and not have a box on display.

Heres the promised video, its dark so you cant see the rearview mirror vibrating very well and I didnt do the annoying paper on the port shot. Theres some clipping in there before I turned it down a few clicks. I have the volume up farther than I normally have it and what I set the gains for.

Is that Skrillex?! Not bad tho....nice job. Only thing I can't stand and seeing more pics of it is the screw/bolts thru the gaskets.

FYI the phone mic is not picking up the bass notes, but the excursion is what you should pay attention to. Also the ticking is not clipping, but the likely reason these subs were in the yard sale to begin with. Im thinking its the voice coil ticking on something, but it only occurs at a volume much higher than my listening volume range and cant be heard when subs are downfiring.

Is that Skrillex?! Not bad tho....nice job. Only thing I can't stand and seeing more pics of it is the screw/bolts thru the gaskets.
Its basshead by bassnectar. Downtown by macklemore actually hits harder on these, but basshead was consistant for a short video. I put washers on the bolts because the heads looked like they would squeeze through the holes. I guess I could cut the gasket around the washer so they dont look so squished.

Just got the carpet in, should have it wrapped by this weekend. Ive also did some tuning on the sub adjusting gains, bass boost, EQ etc and its hitting much harder now. I have room to increase bass boost, eq, and bass knob once I feel like sub subs are broken in. Right now its right where I want it and the subs are still under rated power, but shaking cupholder items and rearview mirrors. The passenger gets the fun seat since the box is right behind them and the downfire opening faces under their seat. Ive been putting down absorbant pads when my wife is in the car.

You should turn bass boost off and set the gain correctly.

If your amp is 500w, it doesn’t mean it’s 500w when the gain is all the way up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.