Twin Sundown SA6.5 SW D2 32Hz Ported 0.6ft3 in Ford Escape Box Build

You should turn bass boost off and set the gain correctly.If your amp is 500w, it doesn’t mean it’s 500w when the gain is all the way up.
Gains were set with bass boost at 0 and flat EQ, bass knob at 1/2 way. I know 500w isnt going to the subs at all times when the gain is set that way, but if you turn the gain all the way up there is a possibility of distortion, correct? I dont have an o-scope to test this, but Ill take it up all the way when the subs are broken in a little bit more. Honestly I can have more bass than I need the way it is now, so turning up the gains would just let me turn the bass boost down from 3 to 0.

Sounds like they are bottoming out or have coil damage. The t nuts are way overkill.
Coil damage is a possibility, but im guessing they are just not 100% aligned and thats why they were sold at the yard sale. When they are downfiring the tick is not there and since that video Ive given them more power. Ill try and do a follow up after I get the carpet on there.

Gains were set with bass boost at 0 and flat EQ, bass knob at 1/2 way. I know 500w isnt going to the subs at all times when the gain is set that way, but if you turn the gain all the way up there is a possibility of distortion, correct? I dont have an o-scope to test this, but Ill take it up all the way when the subs are broken in a little bit more. Honestly I can have more bass than I need the way it is now, so turning up the gains would just let me turn the bass boost down from 3 to 0.
Get rid of the bass boost for sure. Easy old school way is to set the headunit at 3/4 volume grab a dmm and play a 50hz test tone with the multimeter set on AC volts. If you’re looking for 500rms at 1ohm you would want to turn the gain up until the dmm says 22.36v. Hope this helps

You don’t want to turn it all the way up.

Get rid of the bass boost for sure. Easy old school way is to set the headunit at 3/4 volume grab a dmm and play a 50hz test tone with the multimeter set on AC volts. If you’re looking for 500rms at 1ohm you would want to turn the gain up until the dmm says 22.36v. Hope this helps
Subs are D2 series parallel for 2ohm load at amp, my amp is not 1ohm stable. I set gains with my Fluke DMM at 30VAC with flat EQ, 0 bass boost and bas knob at 1/2 way. Subs are rated at 200wrms so Im not quite to 500wrms, but Im plenty more than 400wrms. Id say Im around 9/10 on the gain pot. I adjusted the bass boost to get a little more boomy rumble on some songs and now I like it on most songs. I turn it down on more of the mild bass/trance tracks, but it stays at 2-3 90% of the time. I have my low pass sub filter on the HU at 80Hz, but set it to 85 on the amp. Im guessing I should just set them the same or maybe go full range on the amp crossover and just set it with the HU? Ive tried 100Hz on the HU, but that muddies up the mids too much.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.