Twin Sundown SA6.5 SW D2 32Hz Ported 0.6ft3 in Ford Escape Box Build

IDK... really after lookin' at both tunes, I feel the 40ish tune will sound better IMO. BTW I just overwrit my X6.5 parameters in the database earlier but the tune looks basically the same at 32hz. Too much loss of output and that's a bad tradeoff with small cone area IMO. Here's the database fixed so you can see it's a Sa-6.5D2 and it still is basically the same IMO. 38hz is as low as I'd personally go as the 45hzish punch will kinda be diminishing already tuning from 40hz to 38hz.

Green is 32hz and Yellow is a 40hz tune.

MwizNY.jpg

I might be proven wrong yet but that's what I'd go with.

OP.. you said you saw frequency response curves in the Sundown parameters above that peaked at high 30's and low 50's... all I saw was impedance and phase in degrees annotated on that graph.

Modeling the subs is probably better than just using a box calc and manufacturer recommendations IMO.

If it was me and I had the width I'd do a single 3.5" round 23" long... that's 41.03hz in a .6ft3 net enclosure. You'd gain efficiency and punch right where you need it with the small cone area. I don't know if you have the space or desire to tune a touch higher (using a round) but the 32hz tune looked like a dog to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sheet is blurry when I zoom in with my iphone, so I cant really tell if it was impedance or frequency, thanks for clarifying. I was originally looking at doing a round port, but noticed that a slot might be shorter and accomplish the same thing. Im not opposed to round ports, I have a lot of various sized PVC available, it just seemed more efficient to use the slot. What makes a round port better than a slot? The 40Hz graph does look a lot better, and its easier to build a shorter port.

This is what I'm referring to... green is a 32hz tune, yellow a 40hz tune and pink a 44hz tune all in the same .3ft3 airspace. That's the X-6.5 but it's another higher Fs driver... I suppose they would sound ok with a 38-39hz tune but I really don't know. Looks like a TON of output loss to me with the lower tune... just sayin'...

WxwgTb.jpg
Green line sounds terrible to me but I hear a lot of guys tune like that and think it's great. Yellow line should do nicely,,

Again, I’d go with the sd3 10 sealed.
I could actually fit an SA 10 sealed in 0.6cuft, but I dont have room for a port and my amp is 500w. Not sure if Im leaving anything on the table since Im not going to turn the gain all the way up. Would the single sundown SA10 sound better than 2 ported SA6.5 tuned at 40Hz if Im listening to bass heavy electronic (bass nectar type stuff)? This is more of an SQ build, but I like a little of the long bass drops.

It's hard to approximate cabin gain in Winisd but the Linkwitz-transform filter function can be used to "estimate" and I mean roughly estimate it. The 32hz tune looks like it's peaking around 30hz to me that way but again its gonna sacrifice output. They're only 6.5's so don't expect too much but they WILL dig. But its FAR below fs again... idk... you might be pleased.

I'm out... good luck.

It's hard to approximate cabin gain in Winisd but the Linkwitz-transform filter function can be used to "estimate" and I mean roughly estimate it. The 32hz tune looks like it's peaking around 30hz to me that way but again its gonna sacrifice output. They're only 6.5's so don't expect too much but they WILL dig. But its FAR below fs again... idk... you might be pleased.I'm out... good luck.
Dude you have BBP, you should stop using Winisd, its literally useless below 50hz because it can't predict cabin gain.

There's no doubt the 6.5s can play low, the problem is their sound quality goes down the shitter, it will be boomy and lack crisp transient response, which is the whole purpose of SQ. Those are the wrong subs for this build imo.

Dude you have BBP, you should stop using Winisd, its literally useless below 50hz because it can't predict cabin gain.
Im on the road to learning it... lol... long road too. It'll just click soon I'm sure but now im still hitting alot of frustration as its the same basic thing but all functions are in a different layout. I just gotta find em all. I might just drop $20 on a manual unless I find a vid this week or it clicks.

Im on the road to learning it... lol... long road too. It'll just click soon I'm sure but now im still hitting alot of frustration as its the same basic thing but all functions are in a different layout. I just gotta find em all. I might just drop $20 on a manual unless I find a vid this week or it clicks.
To me its very similar to winisd though not as efficient of a user interface. I read the manual first then went back and started using it no problem.

It's hard to approximate cabin gain in Winisd but the Linkwitz-transform filter function can be used to "estimate" and I mean roughly estimate it. The 32hz tune looks like it's peaking around 30hz to me that way but again its gonna sacrifice output. They're only 6.5's so don't expect too much but they WILL dig. But its FAR below fs again... idk... you might be pleased.I'm out... good luck.
I not expecting car shaking bass, maybe a little rear view mirror shaking. Ill try it at 40Hz like your model says is best, if its not good enough I can just extend the port with a board on the inside. Maybe Ill do the round port partially in the box and coming out under the seat, that way I can play around with it. If I do it under the seat I wont have a hole for my boys to fill with toys, food, trash and boogers.

Would I be better served by a single SA10 in this box sealed? If Im going for SQ with a little rear view shaking on 450ish watts?

if you want me to design it i can

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

i'd actually like to, i need some smaller woofer practice

if you want me to design it i can 

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

i'd actually like to, i need some smaller woofer practice
Fine by me, if you want to practice anyway, Id appreciate it. The main issue is space requirements, so I cant just have a rectangular cube I have to use that odd shape on the ends. Right now Im trying to consider if it should be a sundown sealed 10 over the twin 6.5 ported. They take the same space requirements, but the 10 requires more watts, the SA8 wont fit since its deeper than the 10.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.